Credit for Prior Learning
Credit for Prior Learning (CPL) may be awarded for prior experience or prior learning previously accomplished by something other than an accredited institution; for study; travel; or other experiences. CPL may be requested only for individually identified courses with subject matter similar to that of the individual's prior learning, and only for a course listed in the catalog of the College. Units and grade points earned shall be counted toward the Associate degree. Units earned by Credit for Prior Learning are not considered as part of the student's official program and are not used in verifying unit enrollment for enrollment verifications. Students interested in challenging a course by examination must meet the following conditions:
- Students wishing to receive Credit for Prior Learning must be in good academic standing or have no academic standing at College of the Canyons, and be currently registered in at least one unit or noncredit course at the College.
- Petitions for CPL in approved courses must be submitted before fifty percent (50%) of the term is complete. Grades for courses taken through CPL are due in the Admissions and Records Office by the last day of the semester or term.
- Courses taken through CPL are subject to A - F grading, unless the course is only offered Pass/No Pass option. Incompletes, withdrawals, or no-pass grades are not allowed.
- Students must have satisfied the prerequisites and other enrollment requirements for the particular course for which CPL is requested.
- CPL fees must be paid prior to completing the assessment. Fees are nonrefundable.
- Students must not be currently enrolled in the course for which they request CPL, and may not have requested CPL for the same course previously at the District (although the individual may enroll in the course for a future term for credit if the CPL assessment produced a substandard grade of D, F, or NP).
- Students may accept, decline, or appeal the decisions related to the award of CPL
- To appeal the grade, students must follow requirements described in the Grade Review Policy (BP 5533) and utilize the Grade Review Petition found on the Student Services website.
- A student must decline or accept the award of CPL credit before the District posts the grade to the student's transcript. Once the grade is posted to the student's transcript, the student may no longer decline or appeal the grade.
- To decline the CPL credit, the student must indicate as much on the Credit for Prior Learning form that must be sent to the Office of Admissions and Records.
- The student's academic record shall be clearly annotated to reflect that credits were earned as CPL.
The Petition for Credit for Prior Learning is available on the forms page.
For more information, see Board Policy 4235.