Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
Dear Neighbor, Client, and Taxpayer,
We perform our services from February 10 to April 20 every Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm at the COC Valencia Campus in Hasley Hall Rooms 233 and 234. The last appointment would be at 3:00 pm.
We will conduct our services until Saturday, April 13th. We are providing services every Saturday, from 9 am to 5:00 pm. Appointment strongly recommended. The last appointment and or walk-in will be at 3:00 pm to allow a timely filing and end of the day activities.
FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION
When: Starting Saturday February 10. For more detail Click on Book an Appointment. Or go to the bottom of the page.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $65,000 or less a year, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
COC students will partner with members of the Business Department (volunteered Accounting professors) to help low- to-moderate income members of the Santa Clarita Valley and neighboring communities get every income tax refund dollar they are entitled to. All returns are reviewed for quality assurance prior to submission. This service is free to area students and is open to the public. The qualifying income bracket for participants is a gross income below $67,000.
Under the supervision of experienced tax practitioners, and trained agents, trained and certified COC students provide free tax preparation services (federal and state) to eligible low income taxpayers. VITA services will be offered at the COC campus from the first Saturday of February through April 20...
The COC VITA program does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, or age in admission, treatment, or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. For further information about this policy, or if any needed additional accommodation for the services provided by COC VITA, they can contact us.
Our community members and or general public can walk-in for first come, first served service, or they can book an appointment online or by calling COC VITA at Canyons.edu is to book an appointment, for a more specific time. Individual sessions may run one to two hours in length. Time slots are secured on a first come, first served or appointment basis. Those who do not qualify for our services will have to reach out to a professional tax preparer for further assistance.
For additional information (including detailed VITA services), please visit the IRS website at irs.gov
On the Day of the Appointment:
Please Note: The following items (as applicable) are required to help our volunteers prepare client’s tax return accurately.
- Driver’s License (or an Identification Card).
- Social Security Cards or official documents from Social Security office for all persons to be listed on your tax return. Otherwise we can apply for Tax Identification Number(s).
- Copy of 2021 & 2022 tax returns.
- All W-2s and Other Income Documents (be sure you have all W-2s from all of the 2023 Employers)
- Pension, Retirement and Social Security Statements
- Unemployment Compensation Documentation (Form 1099G)
- Interest or Dividend Income Statement (Form 1099INT/Form 1099DIV)
- Health Care Coverage Documentation (Form 1095A, B or C)
- Income Amount (from summer job, 1099s-etc.) for all dependents and people in your household
- Tuition Payments Statement (for you, your spouse and/or dependent child)
- Statement of Student Loan Interest Paid
- Total Amount Paid for Child Care Expenses (along with the name, address and tax ID number of the provider(s) to whom the childcare expenses were paid)
- If itemizing - total mortgage interest paid, school & property taxes paid, unreimbursed employee business expenses, documentation of charitable contributions, unreimbursed medical expenses, etc.
- If you itemized last year, bring the amount of the State Refund and a copy of your 2021 and 2022 state tax returns
- Amount paid in 2023 for energy-efficient windows, doors, insulation, new furnace, air conditioners, etc. Also the 2022, 2021, 2020, and 2019 tax returns with any of these items claimed.
- For Direct Deposit of a Tax Refund, bring your bank’s routing number and account number for your checking or savings account (a blank voided check is the best option).
Make an appointment Online:
Make an appointment by clicking on the above link button.
Our InPerson operation begins Saturday February 10 at 9 am and ends April 20 at 5 pm. The very last appointment and or walk-in at 3:00 pm for a timely closing.
We provide our services every Saturday 9 am - 5 pm. (The last appointment and or walk-in will be at 3:00 pm for a timely filing and closing process.)