Voluntary Income Tax Assistance (VITA)
FREE INCOME TAX PREPARATION
When: Starting Saturday Feb 8th, every Saturday until April 11th, From 9 am to 5 pm.
The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program offers free tax help to people who generally make $56,500 or less a year, persons with disabilities and limited English speaking taxpayers who need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation with electronic filing to qualified individuals.
COC students will partner with members of the Business Department (volunteered Accounting professors) to help low- to-moderate income members of the Santa Clarita Valley community get every income tax refund dollar they are entitled to. All returns are reviewed for quality assurance prior to submission. This service is free to area students and is open to the public. The qualifying income bracket for participants is a gross income below $56,500.
Under the supervision of experienced tax practitioners, and IRS agents, trained and certified COC students provide free tax preparation services (federal and state) to eligible low income taxpayers. VITA services will be offered at the COC campus from mid-February through mid-April each year.
The COC VITA program does not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, color, national origin, disability, or age in admission, treatment, or participation in its programs, services and activities, or in employment. For further information about this policy, or if any needed additional accommodation for the services provided by COC VITA, they can contact us.
Our community members and or general public can walk-in for first come, first served service, or they can book an appointment online or by calling COC VITA at (661) 362-3330 to book an appointment, for a more specific time. Individual sessions may run one to two hours in length. Time slots are secured on a first come, first served or appointment basis. Those who do not qualify for our services will have to reach out to a professional tax preparer for further assistance.
For additional information (including detailed VITA services), please visit the IRS website at irs.gov
On the Day of the Appointment
(or Walk-in for Tax Preparation):
Please Note: The following items (as applicable) are required to help our volunteers prepare client’s tax return accurately.
- Driver’s License (or an Identification Card).
- Social Security Cards or official documents from Social Security office for all persons to be listed on your tax return. Otherwise we can apply for Tax Identification Number(s).
- Copy of 2018 tax return
- All W-2s and Other Income Documents (be sure you have all W-2s from all of the 2019 Employers!!!)
- Pension, Retirement and Social Security Statements
- Unemployment Compensation Documentation (Form 1099G)
- Interest or Dividend Income Statement (Form 1099INT/Form 1099DIV)
- Health Care Coverage Documentation (Form 1095A, B or C)
- Income Amount (from summer job, etc.) for all dependents and people in your household
- Tuition Payments Statement (for you, your spouse and/or dependent child)
- Statement of Student Loan Interest Paid
- Total Amount Paid for Child Care Expenses (along with the name, address and tax ID number of the provider(s) to whom the childcare expenses were paid)
- If itemizing - total mortgage interest paid, school & property taxes paid, un-reimbursed employee business expenses, documentation of charitable contributions, un-reimbursed medical expenses, etc.
- If you itemized last year, bring the amount of the State Refund and a copy of your 2018 state tax return
- Amount paid in 2019 for energy-efficient windows, doors, insulation, new furnace, air conditioners, etc. Also the 2017, 16, 15, and 14 tax return with any of these items claimed.
- For Direct Deposit of a Tax Refund, bring your bank’s routing number and account number for your checking or savings account (blank voided check is the best option).
Make an appointment by Calling (661) 362-3330 or Online:
Walk-ins welcome, appointments recommended.
Operation begins Saturday February 8th at 9 am and ends April 11th at 5 pm. We provide our services every Saturday from 9 am to 5 pm.
Valencia Campus, Hasley Hall 233 & 234.