Construction Bid Guidelines
Potential bidders on College of the Canyons construction projects should understand the bid process for a public agency. This short information sheet is intended to assist potential bidders; not all of the requirements can be fully delineated, but the most common issues are noted. As always, if you have any questions regarding any information in this article, please contact the Facilities Department.
College of the Canyons is constrained by the California Public Contract Code (PCC) relative to bidding, accepting and awarding bids. A list of highlights from the PCC is as follows:
- All projects with an estimated budget greater than $15,000 must be publicly bid.
- All bid openings are open to the public.
- Any bid received after the designated bid time is automatically rejected.
- Bids and/or bid documents requiring original signatures must be originals and cannot be accepted via facsimile.
- All college district projects must be bid using Prevailing Wages.
- All bidders must be fully bonded bid bond (10 percent), performance bond (100 percent), payment bond (100 percent) and insured (see below for limits).
- The district must accept the lowest responsive bid and is legally prohibited from negotiating or contracting with any other bidder. At its sole discretion, the district may or may not award a bid that exceeds the project estimate.
- Awards are based on the base bid amount. Should there be alternates, the award will be either by the sum of base bid plus pre-prioritized alternates, or by the blind bidder method.
- Bidders must be licensed at the time of submission of their bid in the classification established by the district for the work.
- Contractors/subcontractors whose bid price is equal to or greater than one-half of one percent (0.5 percent) of the total base bid amount must be listed as a part of the bid proposal.
- These listed contractors/subcontractors can only be substituted under very specific circumstances, as allowed by the PCC, and with the district's written permission. Bid shopping is illegal and will not be allowed by the district.
- The district may, for any reason, reject all bids and re-bid as deemed necessary.
|Minimum Requirements for All Publicly Bid Projects
|Comprehensive General Liability and Automobile Liability Insurance for injuries to persons, including accidental death, to any one person in an amount not less than:
|Subject to the same limit for each person on account of one accident, in an amount not less than:
|Property Damage Insurance covering losses arising out of damage or destruction to property whether directly or indirectly arising out of or in connection with performance of work under the contract documents, including explosion and collapse in an amount not less than:
|Workers Compensation Insurance, in accordance with limits established by law, and Employers Liability Insurance:
The Santa Clarita Community College District hopes that this criteria will assist potential bidders in their determination to bid our projects. We look forward to your participation.