Skip to main contentSkip to footer

How can I qualify for the CalWORKs Program at College of the Canyons?

In order to join to the CalWORKs Program at College of the Canyons, you must be referred to us from your local Welfare-to-Work county agency (GAIN). To qualify for the benefits of the GAIN Program, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Be a current recipient of TANF
  • Have a child under the age of 18
  • Have or be in the process of developing a Welfare-to-Work plan with your local DPSS Agency that refers you to college for education/training
  • Be enrolled in at least one class at COC which meets your GAIN goal
  • Be in good standing with CalWORKs
  • If applicable, be approved by the county to receive Post Employment or Post-Time Limited Services

If you are NOT a current TANF recipient but feel you may be eligible, please contact our office to further assist you by calling us at (661) 362-3271, emailing, or by joining our Zoom Virutal Helpdesk by clicking here!

What services/benefits are offered once I've joined the CalWORKs program?

  • Priority registration
  • Academic, career and personal counseling
  • Development of individualized Student Education Plan according to your educational/career goal
  • Comprehensive case management
  • Family focused events
  • Personal development through a variety of workshops
  • Facilitation of support services (i.e., child care, textbooks & supplies, etc.) from the Department of Public Social Services
  • Work-Study opportunities
  • Computer/study lab
  • Free tutoring services
  • Laptop lending library
  • Textbook lending library
  • Referrals
    • PLEASE NOTE: these benefits are subject to change