How can I qualify for the CalWORKs Program at College of the Canyons?
In order to join to the CalWORKs Program at College of the Canyons, you must be referred to us from your local Welfare-to-Work county agency (GAIN). To qualify for the benefits of the GAIN Program, you must meet the following requirements:
- Be a current recipient of TANF
- Have a child under the age of 18
- Have or be in the process of developing a Welfare-to-Work plan with your local DPSS Agency that refers you to college for education/training
- Be enrolled in at least one class at COC which meets your GAIN goal
- Be in good standing with CalWORKs
- If applicable, be approved by the county to receive Post Employment or Post-Time Limited Services
How to Join CalWORKs
To take advantage of the benefits offered through the CalWORKs Program at College of the Canyons, you must be referred to us from your local Welfare-to-Work county agency. Your Gain Service Worker (GSW) will provide you with a Training Verfication to be completed at your scheduled intake appointment. To schedule this appointment at the COC CalWORKs Program call (661) 362-3271.
What Do I Bring to My Intake Appointment?
The first appointment in the CalWORKs Program is very important. You must bring to the office any current documentation that can help us determine what services you are eligible for. You must bring:
- A GN6006/1 and GN6013 and GN6014 for Vocational Training, Job Skills Training, or Remedial Education componants.
- A GN6005 for Self Initiated Program component.
- A current Verification of Benefits which shows us that you are active with TANF. You can print out this document through the CalWORKs YourBenefitsNow portal. To create an account or login to an existing account go to https://www.dpssbenefits.lacounty.gov/ybn/Index.html. If your CalWORKs case is flagged as receiving Specialized Supportive Services you may not be able to generate the VOB. You will have to go into your assigned DPSS office and have one printed.
If you need further assistance in determining whether or not you qualify for CalWORKs, how to get connected to GAIN, or what forms are necessary, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, call us at 661-362-3271, or join us in our Zoom Helpdesk!