Third-Party Sponsorship Accounts
College of the Canyons works closely with several agencies, organizations and businesses that have offered to sponsor or pay for a student’s education. These organizations enter into an agreement with the College to pay for all or a portion of a student’s tuition. When a sponsorship account is established, the sponsor determines the classes and or fees that they agree to pay. The covered amount is noted on the students account and the sponsor is billed directly.
Types of Sponsors
- Veterans Administration – Chapter 31 and Chapter 33
- Federal Government Programs
- State and Veterans Vocational Rehabilitation
- State Programs, Including Department of Rehabilitation
- School Programs, Including Canyons Promise, Inspired Scholars, etc.
- Businesses, Corporations and Organizations
- Prepaid Tax Plans (Require school billing for payment)
- International Government Programs
A family member, friend, prepaid tax plan (custodian controls the payments), etc. covering tuition and fees are not sponsors and will not be set up on a sponsorship.
Sponsorship Application Requirements
Establishing a sponsorship agreement requires the submittal of two forms:
- STUDENT SPONSORSHIP AGREEMENT FORM: This form must be signed by the student and submitted each semester. By signing and submitting, you are letting the College know that you would like your fees to be covered by your sponsor and requesting to have the college invoice the sponsor for the covered fees.
- SPONSORSHIP APPLICATION FORM: A financial guarantee is required from your sponsor. This guarantee can be on company letterhead, program letterhead or by completing the college’s sponsorship application form. The following information must be included:
- Full name of the student or students covered.
- COC Student ID or last four (4) of the Social Security Number for identification
- The term, year or dates that the sponsorship is valid
- Amount or description of what is covered. This may include a specific dollar amount, a maximum dollar amount, specific courses, a list of tuition and fees covered, etc. Possible fees and tuition include: Enrollment Fees, Out of State Tuition, Health Fee, Student Representative Fee, Student Activity Fee (optional), Parking (optional) and material fees.
- A complete billing address, contact name and number and email for invoicing. Include any requirements for processing invoices, such as PO numbers, ID Numbers, 95 Numbers, etc.
- A signature from the authorizing agent or contact
Once all paperwork has been received, a sponsor account will be created. All covered charges will be noted on the student account and moved to the sponsor account.
The College will communicate with your sponsor regarding covered classes, invoicing and payment information.
Students are required to adhere to the guidelines of their established sponsorship. If your sponsorship requires additional information, such as grades, progress reports, counseling appointments, etc. it is your responsibility to submit these documents directly to their sponsor.
Sponsorship Application Deadline Dates
To be sponsored, all paperwork should be submitted to the Student Business Office prior to registration. Please contact your SBO Sponsorship Representative to assure that documents are complete and received. Contact information is listed below.
All paperwork, Student Sponsorship Agreement Form and Sponsorship Application Form (or Financial Guarantee) must be submitted no later than the second Sunday following the start of the semester. Late applications will not be accepted.
Forms may be submitted:
- In person - The Student Business Office is located on the Valencia Campus in Canyon Hall. If visiting after hours, please place the forms in the Payment Drop located in the Student Business Office front door.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: College of the Canyons, ATTN: Student Business Office, 26455 Rockwell Canyon Road, Santa Clarita CA 91355. If mailing, please allow enough time to be received prior to the deadline date.
If the established deadline date has been missed, the college will not be able to sponsor the student for that semester or crate a sponsor invoice. It will be the student’s responsibility to contact their sponsor to see if there are additional arrangements that can be made, such as having the sponsor cut a check directly without an invoice or reimbursement for payment.
Sponsor Billing and Invoices
Sponsorships will be processed following the semester length refund deadline date. All sponsor invoices will be forwarded to the contact/address listed on the guarantee.
All payments are due within thirty (30) days of the issued invoice.
All payments are made via check.
Payments should be made payable to College of the Canyons and mailed to the address listed on the invoice. Sponsors should attach a copy of the invoice and reference the invoice number on the check.
If a payment is not made within ninety (90) days of the due date, the charges will be placed back on the student account. At that time the student will be responsible for payment in full. If not paid in full, this may prevent the student from registration.
All refunds due for payments made by a sponsor will be returned directly to the sponsor. The only exception to this policy will be for students that are sponsored by Veterans Affairs under the GI Bill® Chapter 33.
If the student paid prior to the application of the sponsorship, the student will be refunded following a sponsor payment.
Steps to Become a Sponsored Student
The following steps are required to become a sponsored student:
Work with your sponsor to obtain a financial guarantee. The guarantee can be on letterhead, a COC Sponsor Application Form or an official program form. All letters must be complete and include all requirements listed above.
- Canyons Promise (First & Second Year) – Your guarantee was processed with your program acceptance, skip to STEP 4.
- Chapter 31 – Submit FORM VP-20 for your financial guarantee.
- Chapter 33 – Submit FORM VP-20 for your financial guarantee.
- Department of Rehabilitation – Your sponsorship financial agreement will be processed following meeting with your DOR counselor and submitting required documentation. Once approved, DOR will submit your DR297F Direct Service Authorization directly to the school. Please meet with them early to assure that this authorization is received by the deadline date.
- Inspired Scholars – Your guarantee is processed through the program, skip to STEP 4.
Sign and submit a Student Sponsorship Agreement Form with the College. Please include the term and your contact information.
Contact your Student Business Office Sponsorship Representative to review/submit all required paperwork. Paperwork should be submitted a minimum of one (1) week prior to registration. The deadline to submit your Sponsorship Application is the second Sunday of the semester. Late applications will not be accepted. If your paperwork has been submitted, you will not need to pay for classes upfront.
View the status of your sponsorship.
- Once your sponsorship paperwork has been accepted your account will show a DREG Hold. This is a protective hold that notes the sponsorship on your account.
- Once your sponsorship has been billed, your Billing / Registration Statement will show a sponsor payment in the covered amount. This sponsor payment is the amount the sponsor is billed and not an actual sponsor payment received.
Pay attention to deadline dates, including the refund deadline dates that are displayed on your Billing/Registration Statement. If you plan on dropping class(es), the class must be dropped prior to the established refund deadline date, in order to be eligible for a refund or to have the fees removed. If a class is dropped after the refund deadline date you may be responsible for paying the balance of the late dropped classes. If your sponsor requires a minimum of units enrolled and you drop below those units, you may be required to pay your entire balance. Check with your sponsor to see what classes will be covered.
Pay any balance due. You will be responsible for any balance not covered by your sponsor or any balance that your sponsor does not pay. If the sponsor bill becomes past due and is more than ninety (90) days, the sponsor payment on your account will be reversed and you will need to pay the balance due.
- You will be notified of any balance due via your my.canyons.edu email.
- You may view your Billing / Registration Statement at any time for a current balance due.
College of the Canyons will work directly with your sponsor and may be required to notify the sponsor of registered courses, enrollment status, total units enrolled and balances due. If your sponsor requires transcripts or grades, you will be responsible for submitting those forms to your sponsor.
College of the Canyons
Student Business Office
26455 Rockwell Canyon Road
Santa Clarita, CA 91351
General email: email@example.com
General Phone: 661-362-3033
- Chapter 31
- Chapter 33
- Canyons Promise
- Federal Government Plans
- Inspired Scholars
- Veteran Canyons Promise
- Department of Rehabilitation
- Businesses, Corporations and Organizations
- International Government Programs
- Prepaid tax plan billing
- State and School Programs