Pass/No Pass Grading Options

Can I change to a P/NP grading option for my course?

If, due to the circumstances of your course or due to COVID-19, you want to change the grading option to a Pass or No Pass, you can do so using the Summer 2020 P/NP Form. Here are some items to understand about a Pass or No Pass grade.

For the College of the Canyons degrees and certificates:

  • A grade of P can be earned in major coursework during the terms spring, summer and fall 2020.
  • A grade of P can be earned for general education coursework.
  • A maximum of 18 units of P can be earned towards the associate degree. However, the grade of P during the spring, summer, and fall 2020 will not be counted towards the 18 - unit max.
  • A maximum of 14 units of P can be earned towards a certification of the CSU IGETC and IGETC. However, the grade of P during the spring, summer, and fall 2020 will not be counted towards the 14 - unit max.
  • The P grade earned in spring, summer, and fall 2020 can be used to earn a Certificate of Achievement or a Certificate of Specialization.
  • A grade of NP will not be counted in the GPA.
  • A grade of NP earned during spring 2020 will not be counted for Progress or Academic Probation or Dismissal Status.
  • The College of the Canyons Nursing department is reviewing the use of P/NP options for the admission criteria. Once that has been reviewed, information will be updated on this website.

For Transfer:

  • The CSU will accept a grade of Pass (P) taken during winter, spring, or summer 2020, for the following areas:
  • The Golden Four (The Golden Four (English language [A2], oral communication [A1], critical thinking [A3], and mathematics/quantitative reasoning [B4])
  • All other General Education courses; and
  • Major prerequisite courses.
  • The UC has temporarily suspended the cap on the number of transferable units with “pass/no pass” grading applied toward the minimum 60 semester units required for junior standing for students admitted to the fall 2020 term. Any courses taken with Pass/No Pass grading in the winter, spring and summer terms of 2020 will not count toward UC’s limit of 14 semester transferable units. For other transfer terms, this provision may not be an option.
  • For transfer universities outside the CSU or UC system, professional or graduate institutions, please check with them directly for their policies on Pass/No Pass grading option. The institutions may require letter grades for admission criteria.

To complete the form please click below.

Summer 2020 P/NP Form