Ayres-McMahan Humanities Scholarship
Call for Submissions
The Humanities School asks for submissions to the Ayres-McMahan Humanities Scholarship This scholarship is designed to support current College of the Canyons students who have expressed an interest in majoring in Humanities (American Sign Language, Art History, Classics, English, Film Studies, Foreign Languages, History, Philosophy, and Religious Studies) or have done so already.
The scholarship committee will award the Ayres-McMahan Scholarship on the basis of a writing sample from the student. A student is free to select a single work, but the essay must meet the following criteria:
- The essay must be a formal, thesis-driven essay that concerns literary, artistic, cultural, cinematic, philosophic, or historical inquiry
- Thesis driven essays must be no longer than 7 pages in length
- All essays must be written in Times New Roman 12-pt font, be double spaced, and have one-inch margins
- The essay must conform to MLA style
- It must have a works cited page
- All submissions must be anonymous. The authors name must appear only on the submission form
- Students must currently be enrolled in 12 units or more at College of the Canyons.
This scholarship will provide the winning student with $500 of support. The deadline for all submissions is May 7, 2018. The scholarship recipients will be announced during the cul-de-sac Release Party on May 25, 2018 5:00 P.M. - 7:30 P.M.
Students should submit a hard copy of the paper to the English desk at the TLC along with their submission form.