How to Create ZTC with Open Educational Resources (OER)
These resources will help explain the steps it takes to create an openly licensed teaching material.
- Open Learn offers a free in depth tutorial on understanding and creating OERs.
- The Open Education Consortium has been a pioneer in the world of OER for the last decade, their Faculty: Creating OER's webpage includes direct simple information on the creation of openly licensed materials.
- COERLL Guidelines for Creating and Sharing Open Educational Resources offers a brief, big picture overview of the OER creation process.
- BC Campus has created a Self Publishing Guide a reference for individual educators or institutions wanting to write and self-publish an open textbook. This guide provides details on the preparation, planning, writing, publication, and maintenance of an open textbook.
- Pressbooks is an OER publishing tool. Pressbooks software helps educators and authors create aesthetic, properly formatted, texts for a one time publishing fee.
Top OER Repositories
There are many excellent OER resources, we have compiled a list of what we believe to be the top five. This ranking is based on: ease of use, breadth of content, and how often the repositories are updated.
Understanding Creative Commons
What does it mean if an academic resource is openly licensed? These resources explain open licensing under creative commons and how this kind of licensing allows educators to freely use and share educational resources. To create a creative commons license click here.
OER Class Search
If you are a current professor at College of the Canyons you will want to know about the OER class search function that helps students connect with classes that use OER materials in lieu of traditional textbooks. For more information please visit our OER Class Search QA.pdf.
Interested in creating OER Swag for your college campus?
Checkout our OER button designs! These designs (unless otherwise noted) are under a CC-BY 4.0 creative commons license; this means that you and your college are free to use these designs to make your own OER awareness materials
- George Mason OER Metafinder
- American Institute of Mathematics Approved Textbooks
- Alamo Colleges Learning Hub
- Arabic Language Learning
- ASCC Open Educational Resources Initiative
- BC Campus Open Ed Textbook Search
- BC Campus Open Education Virtual Lab and Science Resource Directory
- Bay College Library - OER
- California Social Work Education Center Hub
- Center for Open Educational Resources and Language Learning
- Center for Human Services Resource Barn - UC Davis
- Cool 4Ed
- Common Core OER
- Community College Consortium for OER
- Digital Public Library of America (Art, History, Literature)
- Directory of Open Access Books
- Flat World Knowledge Books (2012)
- Free Tech Books (Computer Science)
- Fundamentals of Business (Virginia Tech)
- Green Tea Press (Computer Science + STEM)
- Humbolt OER Page
- InTech (STEM)
- Kirkwood Community College
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Michigan College Hub
- NSDL - National Science Digital Library
- OERs Used In Various Colleges and Communities
- Ohio State University
- Open Oregon
- Open SUNY Textbooks
- OpenStax College
- Open Text Bookstore (Mostly Math)
- Open Textbook Library
- Open Textbook Library (eCampusOntario)
- Open Washington
- PLOS (Scientific Journals)
- Portland State University
- The Global Text Project
- Sacred Heart University - List of OER Books
- SmART History (Art History)
- Writing Spaces (College Level Writing)
- CC Search Beta
- Jisc Digital Media
- The Met
- NASA Archive
- University of Texas - Maps
- World Images Kiosk
- Academic Earth
- Carnegie Mellon University - OER
- Free Canvas Courses
- Lumen - Open Courses
- My Open Math (Math)
- Open Education Database
- Open Learning Initiative
- Open Yale Courses
- Peer 2 Peer
- Saylor Academy
- Sofia Open Content Initiative
- Tufts Open Courseware
- Utah State University Open Courseware