About Pathway to Law School
Pathway to Law School is a California Community College Initiative in partnership
with six California law schools to increase diversity in the legal profession.
The purpose of the Program is to provide a pathway to a law school education for students whose post-secondary education begins at the community college level. This program will provide a clear pathway from community college to law school.
For more information on the statewide program initiative, visit California LAW.
Purpose of the Program
- The initiative was developed by the State Bar of California's Council on Access and Fairness (COAF) to increase diversity in the legal profession.
- To provide a clear pathway from community college to law school (2+2+3).
- Partnerships were developed among 26 California Community Colleges and 6 participating
Partnering Law Schools
- University of California, Davis
- University of California, Irvine
- Loyola Law School
- Santa Clara University School of Law
- University of San Francisco School of Law
- University of Southern California Gould School of Law
Benefits of the Program & Support Services
- Dedicated counselor and faculty champion
- Private Canvas site for Pathway updates & information
- Mentorship with a local lawyer or judge
- Extracurricular pre-law activities
- Free LSAT review course from Khan Academy
- Internships and service learning opportunities
- Some law schools may consider priority admission
- All participating law schools will waive application fee
- Complete the Pathway to Law School Sequence of Courses
- Maintain good academic standing
- Take advantage of the support services:
- Pre-law activities
Student Educational Plan (SEP)
- Meet with Liz Shaker to develop your SEP based on:
- your selected major
- transfer university admission requirements
- required 7 course sequence for Pathway to Law School Program
- There are many ways to get to one place, during your counseling appointment we will
discuss the best path that meets your needs!
Becoming a COAF Law Scholar
- Petition for COAF Law Scholar during your final semester by the deadline:
- Fall Completers: First Friday of fall semester
- Spring Completers: First Friday of spring semester
- Submit Pathway to Law School Student Waiver
- Self-identify as a COAF Law Scholar for application to participating law schools
- Reach out to admission counselor from participating law schools
Questions, Comments, Concerns? Please contact...
Nicole FaudreeChair of the Paralegal Studies & Business Departments
Law Scholar Faculty Champion
Liz ShakerCounseling Faculty & Law Scholar Counselor Champion
The ABA stresses that paralegals may not provide legal services directly to the public except as permitted by law.