Check out the course descriptions to see what is taught, enabling students to be able to demonstrate proficiency in the core skills and knowledge of fire organization, fire prevention, fire equipment and systems, and more.
Fire Technology Career Tree
- Fight fires, rescue and extricate victims, provide emergency medical services, and help ensure public safety for our communities.
- Operate as part of a team to save lives and property through fire suppression, rescue, ...
The Fire Technology Program is comprised of courses conforming to the recommended
uniform fire technology curriculum of the California Community College System.
Pre-Service Option: The Fire Technology Degree/Certificate Program prepares students for careers in the
fire service, either public or private. After completion of the program, students
will have a basic understanding in fire protection, prevention, combustion and behavior,
fire company organization/procedures and wildland fire behavior among other areas.
To earn an Associate's degree (Pre-Service option) the student must complete core
courses and electives totaling 33.5 units, plus the general education requirements.
A Fire Technology certificate will be awarded for successful completion of the core
In-Service Option: This degree program is for the fire service professional that wishes to advance within the fire service. Upon completion of the degree program, fire service professionals will further their knowledge in the following areas: Incident Command, Fire Investigation, Fire Command, Fire Management, Fire Prevention and Fire Instructor Training. Promotional opportunities include Fire Apparatus operator, Fire Captain, Battalion Chief, Division Chief, Assistant Fire Chief and Fire Chief. To earn an Associate's degree (in-service option) the student must complete the core courses plus 15 units of electives totaling 27 units plus general education requirements.
- Students must apply and register through Admissions and Records for Fire Technology courses.
- Students will receive all college notifications through the my.canyons email.
- To receive email notifications, sign up for my.canyons email when you apply.
- Students must have an official my.canyons email address to receive emails from the school or instructors!!