Less Than One Year Program
Program that can be completed in less than one year.
This is the fast track of earning a certificate of specialization: Shielded Metal Arc Welding.
These welding classes (not the required electives) are offered in 5 week segments. The completion of these courses can lead to earning the AWS SENSE (Schools Excelling through National Skills Standard Education ) entry-level welder program.
NOT SURE WHAT TO TAKE OR HOW TO GET STARTED?
Check out the Program Mapper and the recommended course sequence documents below.
- Welding Technology – AS (Associates GE Track)
- Welding Technology – Certificate of Achievement
- Structural Steel Welding – Certificate of Achievement
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding – Certificate of Achievement
- Metal Fabrication – Certificate of Achievement
- Robotic Welding Automation – Certificate of Achievement
- Semiautomatic Welding – Certificate of Achievement
- Pipe Fabrication Welding – Certificate of Specialization
Certificate of Achievement: Welding Technology - Shielded Metal Arc Welding
The Welding Technology Certificate of Specialization in Shielded Metal Arc Welding (SMAW) is designed for those interested in welding structural steel. Course work includes a comprehensive study with an emphasis on application of fundamental welding techniques and industry practices. Program completers are prepared for entry level employment into industries such as steel construction and maintenance & repair, and general fabrication.
Certificate Student Learning Outcome:
Students will be able to demonstrate advanced level skills to produce quality welds in the flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead positions using the shielded metal arc welding process.
Units Required: 19.5
Introduction to Shielded Metal Arc Welding | 2.5 units
Intermediate Shielded Metal Arc Welding | 2.5 units
Advanced Shielded Metal Arc Welding | 2.5 units
Welding Metallurgy | 3.0
Non-Destructive Testing | 3.0
Print Reading for Welders and Fabricators | 3.0
Welding Inspection | 3.0