Event Planning 101
A quick and easy reference to help you plan your next event at College of the Canyons.
Find the right date
- Check the college events calendar for available dates.
- Are other events scheduled for the day you’re planning? Will you be competing for the same audience?
- Avoid holidays.
- Timing is everything – Don’t plan large events that draw a lot of off-campus visitors during the first three weeks of the semester. Your guests won’t have anywhere to park!
- Once you’ve picked a date and confirmed the location with the Civic Center, list your event on the events calendar. This helps other event organizers to plan around your event, and it also is the first step in publicizing your event.
Decide on the best location
- Coordinate facilities usage with the Civic Center. If this is a large event that will only fit in certain spaces, determine and confirm what is available and when.
- Submit a Facility Request Form to confirm your date as well as what is needed regarding setup (layout, tables, chairs, AV, etc.) for your room/facility booking.
- Forms are due at least 10 days before your event.
Lock in all the details
- Parking – Contact Campus Safety about parking if you expect off-campus guests to attend.
- Food – Contact ISSI or the University Center Café to arrange for catering.
- Audiovisual – Contact Audiovisual to confirm availability and setup of microphones, speakers, projectors, screens, or other AV needs.
Draw an audience
- The Public Information Office can help you publicize your event, no matter the size of your budget. Our free resources can get the word out to students, faculty and staff.
- Promote it on your department’s social media channels, such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, or LinkedIn. Not using social media yet? Contact the Public Information Office to learn how you can establish your own accounts.