Dual Enrollment Program - Fall 2023
Castaic High School - iCAN Academy
Dual Enrollment Student Checklist and Timeline
- SIGN-UPS FOR SPRING 2023 DUAL ENROLLMENT ARE NOW CLOSED
- New students interested in participating in the iCAN (Canyons Academy North) program for the 2023 - 2024 academic year, will need to submit an iCAN interest form to Castaic High School. These steps must be completed BEFORE starting the admission process with College of the Canyons.
- New students will need to complete the below steps by the listed completion date.
- Students currently participating in iCAN (enrolled in a Spring 2023 dual enrollment course) do not need to reapply with the college. A Fall 2023 Dual Enrollment Special Admission Form will be emailed to your My Canyons student account the week of 03/27/23 to complete and sign. This form is due to the college by 04/29/2023.
Applying is easy and FREE! Complete and submit the California Community College application using the OpenCCC website.
Within 24-48 hours of submitting your application, you will receive an Admissions Acceptance email from email@example.com with instructions on how to complete the remaining steps.
- The application is best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, not your phone.
- Utilize Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Do not use Safari.
First time applying? Here's a video to help you!
Now that you have watched the video go ahead and click on OpenCCC to create an account. Keep your OpenCCC username and password in a safe place. After creating your OpenCCC account, you are ready to apply to College of the Canyons.
Start at the OpenCCC website by using the button below:
If you still need help creating your CCC Apply account or submitting your college application, connect with a COC Outreach Representative during our Virtual Ask Canyons Days or join us for a Virtual Application Workshop.
Once you have applied and received the college's "Admissions Acceptance" instruction email, you are ready to set up your student account in My Canyons.
How to set up your My Canyons Account:
- Activate your CanyonsID login at my.canyons.edu (or click on the button below).
- Click on Log In at the top.
- You will enter the CanyonsID username and password as instructed in your "Admissions
- If you have trouble, please visit our CanyonsID for Students website for instructions.
- Once you have successfully logged in, you will need your Student ID number to continue through this checklist. You can find your Student ID number by clicking on the 'My Profile' tile in your My Canyons account.
Click on the button below to set up your My Canyons account.
The Online Orientation is designed to provide you with information about college procedures, programs, support services and policies. Please give yourself about 30 minutes of quiet time to complete this step. You will be required to log in with your CanyonsID account. Please be sure you have set-up your CanyonsID account (details above) before starting your Orientation.
- This is a one- time orientation.
- The orientation is best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, not your phone.
- Utilize Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Do not use Safari.
- You must use your COC student ID number. Do not mistake this number for your OpenCCC number, a confirmation number or your high school student ID number.
Start your orientation now!
Before proceeding with this step, make sure to complete Step 1 – Step 3 of the admission process.
START by completing the FALL 2023 DUAL ENROLLMENT STUDENT CONTACT QUESTIONNAIRE.
This form will confirm you have completed the above admission steps and gather contact information for you and a parent/guardian needed to launch the electronic FALL 2023 Dual Enrollment Special Admission Form.
The Early College Program will register you into the dual enrollment course upon completion of the admission process and confirmation by your high school.
We expect to complete all dual enrollment registration the week of TBA.
During the week of TBA, you will receive an enrollment confirmation email from firstname.lastname@example.org. This email will contain your course meeting information, instructor contact information and link to their orientation letter, information about the textbook (if required), and available student support services and resources designed to help you succeed.
If your dual enrollment course requires a textbook and/or materials provided by the college, we will provide instructions in the enrollment confirmation email on how to check out your textbook/material from your high school prior to the start of class.
For all Fall 2023 courses, it is very important that you read the instructor’s ORIENTATION LETTER for each class you register for, in order to be aware of the type of class you're in. Read your Instructor's orientation letter for information about their class, such as their required textbooks(s), instructional materials, important dates, proctored exams, or other course requirements.
You may find yourself using Canvas for the first time. Explore our Canvas Guides to learn how to navigate and be successful in your online classroom.
- Courses move at a faster pace.
- College courses have homework - for every 1 hour in class you will have 2 hours of homework.
- You are enrolling in a college class because you WANT to not because you NEED to.
- College tests - mastery is seen as the ability to apply what you've learned in class.
- Attend every class and be on time.
- Excessive tardiness can be counted as an unexcused absence.
- Excessive absences can result in being dropped by the instructor. This could negatively impact your college transcripts and jeopardize high school graduation.
- Come prepared to every class.
- Be familiar with the instructor's course syllabus
- Complete all required reading assignments and homework assignments. Participate in class discussions and/or group work.
- If you have questions or need help, ASK! Your instructor also has office hours embedded into the dual enrollment course meeting time.
- Follow college rules, regulations, and deadlines as published in the school calendar/catalog and on course syllabus.
- Regularly check your COC student email account - this is the only email address the college will send to and receive from.
Grades and Transcripts
- Dual Enrollment course(s) provide high school AND college credit.
- You are creating a permanent college transcript.
- Grades are reported at the end of the semester; no progress reports.
- College of the Canyons will submit your final grade to your high school to be reflected on your high school transcript.
If you have a disability, IEP and/or 504, you may be eligible for accommodations through our Academic Accommodation Center (AAC) office. It is the student’s responsibility to contact AAC prior to the start of the semester for evaluation and approval of eligible and appropriate accommodations to a college course.
Students seeking services through AAC will need to:
- Complete and submit the AAC Application for Services
- Submit a current IEP/Psycho Ed Report
- Schedule an appointment with AAC counselor to review accommodations
Note: Students are required to submit a college application prior to submitting documentation to AAC.
For more information, please visit the AAC website.
FALL 2023 CLASS SCHEDULE - iCAN ACADEMY - COMING SOON!
9th Grade - iCAN (General Education): HLHSCI 100 or CINEMA 121 9th Grade - Health & Medical Pathway: HLHSCI 100 10th Grade - iCAN (General Education): BUS 100 OR COUNS 110 10th Grade - Health & Medical Pathway: COUNS 110 10th Grade - Welding Pathway: MFGT 090 10th Grade - Fire Technology Pathway: FIRETC 101 11th Grade - iCAN (General Education): BUS 117 OR COUNS 110 11th Grade - Public Service Pathway: ADMJUS 101 11th Grade - Welding Pathway: WELD 101A 11th Grade - Fire Technology Pathway: FIRETC 101 12th Grade - iCAN (General Education): SOCI 101 OR PHILOS 101 12th Grade - Public Service Pathway: ADMJUS 125 12th Grade: Welding Pathway: WELD 101C 12th Grade - Fire Technology Pathway: FIRETC 101
CASTAIC HIGH SCHOOL - iCAN ACADEMY
To learn more about the iCAN ACADEMY at Castaic High School, click here!