CAWT 165 - Microsoft Office PowerPoint - Regina (Gina) Roscigno
|Course:||Microsoft Office PowerPoint|
|Professor:||Regina (Gina) Roscigno|
I am Regina Roscigno; but everyone calls me Gina. I will be your instructor for this learning experience called distance learning. I have been teaching at College of the Canyons for over fifteen years, both in the CAWT Department and for Continuing Education. I look forward to getting to know you throughout the semester.
Online classes demand time and discipline. I suggest you set aside the same time each day to login to Canvas and work on your assignments. All the information you need to succeed in this course will be found on Canvas in Modules. Take the time to read all the posted materials.
Provides an in-depth study of presentation fundamentals, using Microsoft PowerPoint software to create slide presentations incorporating templates, images, typography, screen transitions, sound, and animation. Examines how to create dynamic slides, and develop slide shows based on business topics. Designed as preparation for the Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) certification Core and Expert exams in PowerPoint.
What to Expect in this Course
This course covers 8 Modules in the textbook. There will be 3 or 4 Projects to complete and submit for each module, as well as one Task-Based Exam for each module. There is also a Final Presentation to submit.
PowerPoint Module 1
- Create a blank presentation
- Select and change a document theme
- Create a title slide and a text slide with a multilevel bulleted list
- Add new slides and change slide layouts
- Change font size and color
- Bold, italicize, and underline text
- Insert pictures into slides with and without content placeholders
- Move and resize pictures
- Arrange slides
- Change theme colors
- Check spelling
- Review a presentation in different views
- Enter slide notes
- Save a presentation
- Print a presentation
PowerPoint Module 2
- Search for and download an online theme
- Insert a symbol
- Insert a hyperlink
- Convert text to SmartArt
- Edit and format SmartArt text
- Insert and resize a shape
- Apply effects to a shape
- Add text to a shape
- Apply a shape style
- Insert a picture as a shape fill
- Move an object using grids, guides, and the ruler
- Merge shapes
- Add a footer
- Add a slide transition and change effect options
PowerPoint Module 3
- Insert a chart and enter data
- Change a chart style
- Insert a table and enter data
- Apply a table style
- Insert a text box
- Change text box defaults and apply preset effects
- Reuse slides from another presentation
- Insert a picture without using a content placeholder
- Crop a picture
- Change a picture color tone and softness
- Convert text to WordArt
- Change WordArt style, fill and outline
- Animate text and change options
- Insert video
PowerPoint Module 4
- Apply slide and font themes to a slide master
- Change a slide master background
- Add a background style and graphic to a slide master
- Add and format a placeholder into a slide layout
- Change the theme variant
- Change the slide background to a pattern, texture, or gradient fill
- Inspect and protect a presentation
- Highlight text and use a pen and pointer during a slide show
- Rehearse slide timings
PowerPoint Module 5
- Combine (merge) PowerPoint files
- Accept and reject a reviewer’s proposed changes
- Delete, reply to, and insert comments
- Change line and paragraph spacing
- Apply picture and artistic effects
- Change bullets to pictures and symbols and add effects
- Animate slide content
- Use the Animation Painter and Format Painter
- Add motion paths for animations
- Control animation timing
- Create and manage sections
- Insert zoom links
PowerPoint Module 6
- Insert slides from an outline
- Embed and edit a file
- Insert an object from a file
- Draw and format a table
- Resize, split, and distribute table columns and rows
- Insert and edit a linked Excel worksheet
- Switch chart rows and columns
- Change a chart type and layout
- Apply effects to chart elements
- Edit chart data
- Add a link to a file
- Navigate between slides in Reading and Outline views
PowerPoint Module 7
- Insert and edit an audio clip
- Insert and edit a video clip
- Insert a SmartArt graphic
- Add pictures into a SmartArt shape
- Change the SmartArt color
- Move SmartArt shapes up and down
- Promote and demote SmartArt shapes
- Remove a picture background
- Change picture brightness, contrast, and color saturation
- Insert a hyperlink and action button
- Save a presentation as a PDF
PowerPoint Module 8
- Create a custom slide sow
- Save a slide as a picture
- Create handouts by exporting to Word
- Record slide timings and narration
- Save a presentation as a PowerPoint show
- Check a presentation for compatibility and accessibility
- Encrypt a presentation with a password
- Print handouts and notes
- Create and edit a photo album
- Change slide orientation and resolution
- Insert a summary zoom slide
Types of Assessments
Students will create PowerPoint Presentations using files downloaded from the Cengage Unlimited Subscription Online Program known as SAM, and files they create using the latest MS Office Programs.
Exams will be given using the SAM Program.
Final Presentation: Be prepared to be creative as you complete a unique challenge.
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
Textbook Title: Cengage Unlimited –1 term subscription - Includes E-Book and MindTap/SAM Program
Instant Access Code - ISBN: 9780357700006
Other Relevant Course Information
- Cengage Unlimited MindTap account which includes access to the SAM Program and the E-Book.
- Regular access to a reliable computer with stable, high-speed internet connection.
- Internet browser(Chrome or FireFox)
- Microsoft Office 365 with PowerPoint, Excel, Access, and Word for Windows - FREE DOWNLOAD AVAILABLE FROM COC
- Adobe Acrobat Reader: You need to be able to open, print, and save PDF files. To view PDF files, you should have a current version of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer.
- School email address.
NOTE: Students must use Windows with Microsoft Office 365/2019 or 2021 to successfully complete the assignments for this course.
MAC COMPUTERS MUST HAVE MS WINDOWS AND MS OFFICE 365 FOR WINDOWS INSTALLED.
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 05/25/2022 Sub#: 906