CHEM 151 - Perparatory Chemistry - Isaac Koh
Welcome to Chemistry 151! This is a five-week winter course, equivalent to one semester preparatory course, for CHEM 201 and provides intensive foundation in problem solving, basic atomic theory, stoichiometry, nomenclature, states of matter, and solution chemistry. Laboratory experiences will enforce principles learned and will familiarize students with proper handling and maintenance of gravimetric and volumetric equipment.
At the conclusion of the course, students will be able to
- Analyze chemical problems and chemical reactions according to stoichiometric methodology.
- Examine the forms and states of matter, the structure of the atom, arrangement of electrons, and how this relates to the organization of the periodic table.
- Differentiate between the essential features of covalent and ionic bonding.
- Investigate chemical reactions with chemicals, scientific glassware, and instruments in a precise, accurate, and safe manner.
- Analyze chemical data, including graphical manipulation, and formulate meaningful conclusions based on the chemical data.
- Students will have a virtual experience in Lab Experiments, using online resources.
What to Expect in this Course
- Mastering Chemistry (MC) access code with eText of Nivaldo Tro’s Introductory Chemistry, 6th Edition.
- Chemistry 151 Laboratory Manual, available on Canvas
- Canvas access: no cost to registered students
- Scientific Calculator: Must be scientific calculator, such as Casio FX-115ESPLUS or Texas TI-30-XA. (Available on Amazon or in retail stores from $6.00 and up.)
Types of Assessments
Exams (50%) Lab Experiments (25%) Quiz (5%) Worksheets (10%) Mastering Chemistry (10%)
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
Nivaldo J. Tro, "Introductory Chemistry", 6th edition, Pearson
Other Relevant Course Information
ConferZoom video conferencing for Online Live class
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Please visit the Get to Know Your Online Classroom page for help logging into Canvas and for tips on using Canvas and Zoom. Canvas Chat Support is also available 24/7 for any Canvas related issues.
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 10/05/2021 Sub#: 706