Math 093 - Support for College Algebra - Iveta Toneryan
|Course:||Support for College Algebra|
This is a synchronous course that will meet online via Zoom every Friday 08:25 AM - 11:30AM (the link will be provided in the Canvas). You will participate in the course using a COC learning management system called CANVAS. Students are required to also be enrolled in Math 103 College Algebra (section 57886).
Presents basic mathematical concepts and skills that are helpful in College Algebra. Units do not apply to the associate degree.
What to Expect in this Course
All material for the course is accessed through Canvas. Each day, there will be a daily assignment related directly to the material covered in the previous class meeting for Math 103. Students will be expected to complete these assignments before moving on to the new material for Math 103. There are no other assignments or exams for this course. Late submissions of any work will not be accepted unless there is a valid reason.
You can find the course outline and homework schedule posted on Canvas. The course syllabus has important course policies, procedures, assignments, and due dates which will be available on Canvas. Lectures will be given through synchronous Zoom meetings. I expect your attendance and participation.
- Be sure you have reliable Internet access.
- Assignments will be submitted through Canvas.
- Computer access with internet and Chrome as a browser.
- The computer must have speakers, webcam, and microphone.
- Basic or scientific calculator, you may use the calculator on the computer.
Types of Assessments
There will be a new daily assignment each day the class meets. There are no other assignments or exams for this course.
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
We will use College Algebra with Corequisite Support OER book available from OpenStax.
Other Relevant Course Information
You will need to have computer access with Chrome as a browser. Computer must have speakers, webcam, microphone, and zoom downloaded on your computer to take this class. Some of the documents in this course will be available to you in PDF form. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat Reader software on your computer, you can download it by going to http://get.adobe.com/reader/.
Announcements will be posted in CANVAS on a regular basis. They will appear on your CANVAS dashboard when you log in and/or will be sent to you directly through your preferred method of notification from CANVAS.
- Canvas: Our course will be using the Canvas course management system to support our teaching and learning goals starting on the first day of the course.
- You can access our course on the first day of class at https://coc.instructure.com/login/canvas using your MyCanyons username as your login. If you have never used Canvas before, your default password is “students”. You are automatically added to the course by the school system as long as you are enrolled in the class.
- After login, click on Dashboard or Courses to locate our class. Then click on the title of our class.
- If you haven’t done so already, change your Canvas password.
- From the left menu bar, click on Account → Settings → Edit
- From this window, you can also enter an email address and/or text preferences if you would like to receive text messages for assignments, deadlines, and due dates.
- Then go to Notifications. On this screen, you may edit what you receive from Canvas and the method of contact.
- Click on Account → Notifications. Under Notification Preferences, you can control the method and way Canvas contacts you with reminders of course deadlines and activity. These can be updated/changed at any time.
- Please also use the following website at https://www.canyons.edu/academics/onlineeducation/studentsupport/canvasstudentguides.php. Here, you can also access Canvas user guides with helpful tips for navigating and using Canvas. For any Canvas related issues, please call the Canvas Student Support line at (661)362-3344 during college business hours, or (877)889-9052 for 24/7 support.
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 07/15/2021 Sub#: 357