Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Chosen Name

College of the Canyons is committed to fostering an inclusive campus that values self-expression and respect for the variety of communities it serves. The College recognizes that many students prefer a chosen name whenever a legal name is not absolutely necessary, limited by technology, or required by law.

Students may update their chosen name by completing the online Chosen Name Form. COC reserves the right to remove or deny a selected chosen name if used inappropriately. This includes, but is not limited to, names using foul or inappropriate language, names submitted to avoid a legal obligation, and names used to create misrepresentation.

Must everyone indicate a chosen name?

No. Using a chosen name is entirely optional. If your legal name is the name that you prefer to use, you do not need to do anything at all.

Where will my chosen name be used?

A chosen name will appear on the following records and documents:

  • Class Rosters
  • My Canyons Display Name
  • Email Display Name
  • Electronic ID Cards
  • Canvas: A student must make an additional name change within the Canvas platform
  • Degrees/Certificates: A student may elect any chosen name to appear on a degree/certificate. This name is identified when applying for a degree/certificate in the Counseling Department.

Your email address will remain as generated with your legal name. However, the display name will show your chosen name.

There are some areas where COC has an obligation to utilize a student’s legal name. This includes:

  • Academic Transcripts (both official and unofficial)
  • Financial Aid Documents

How long does it take for the online Chosen Name Form to be processed?

The online Chosen Name Form will typically take between 3 – 5 business days to be fully processed. Students will be notified by Admissions & Records once the process is complete.

What if I don’t know someone’s chosen name?

Ask. Asking shows that you respect another person’s choice.

What if someone uses my legal name when addressing me, but I want them to use my chosen name?

If someone mistakenly addresses you by your legal name, simply remind them that you wish to be addressed by your chosen name.

What if I have legally changed my legal name?

Students who have changed their legal name should contact Admissions & Records, and be willing to provide documentation of proof of a legal name change.