Skip to main contentSkip to footer

My Academic Plan (MAP) is an interactive online student education plan tool that will show you the classes you need to take to meet your educational goal. The Plan also provides a timeline for your classes, a weekly format to show your class options, and a progress page to show how close you are to completion. You get to build your own student education plan- to tell the college what classes you need each semester. The College can then use this information to ensure we are offering the right classes to students in the term they need that course.

To access your MAP:

As you go to build your MAP, here are some key things to remember:

  • You will want to verify your academic program in My Canyons. To do this, you will click on "Check My Progress - Program Evaluation," once logged into your account.
  • Be sure to add your math and English courses first. Start with what courses you placed into and build the sequence until you reach what is needed for your major or for transfer.
  • If you plan on transferring, be sure to include your major preparation coursework from
    • If you are transferring to a CSU or UC, follow an AA-T or AS-T if available in your program, otherwise, be sure to check
  • Lastly, be sure to book an appointment to see a counselor once you have built your education plan. They will check your plan over with you to ensure you are on the right track to meeting your academic goal.

Be sure to check out our tutorials and guides to the right for help with getting started!


Important Information

SPECIAL POPULATION NOTICE (Veteran & Financial Aid Students):

If you are a Veteran student or on Financial Aid, you will still need to make an appointment with those respective counselors to complete your education plan for eligibility and certification.

Honors Students

Honors students are encouraged to speak with a counselor once your MAP is completed. Remember to add your major preparation courses from to your plan.


What is a comprehensive educational plan?

A comprehensive educational plan is a plan that includes classes you plan to take for two or more semesters. These classes should reflect those you need to reach your academic goal.

What do I do if I need help using My Academic Plan?

  1. You have a few options: - You can access the tool from home through your My Canyons. (Within the My Academic Plan, click on the Help.)
  2. You can visit the Counseling Departments at the Valencia or Canyon Country campuses. - Contact the Counseling Departments at the Valencia or Canyon Country campuses at (661)362-3288 or (661)362-3811.
  3. You can visit the Welcome Center for hands on assistance.
  4. You can call Student Outreach at (661) 362-5891 for answers to your questions.
  5. Contact Ask Canyons for answers to your questions.
  6. You can make an appointment with a counselor.

Do I need to create an educational plan?

Yes. Consider exploring the different programs offered at COC and build an educational plan around the classes you'd like to explore. Remember, you can always change your goal and modify your plan. You are welcome to schedule an appointment with a counselor to explore your options.

I am planning to transfer and COC does not offer a degree program in my transfer major.

Consider working towards the AA in Liberal Arts & Science with one of the following concentrations based on your transfer major: - Social Science - Arts & Humanities - Math & Science

What if I receive an error message when using My Academic Plan?

If you receive an error message, please contact Admissions and Records (661-362-3280) for assistance.