Skip to main contentSkip to footer

AB-540 Reclassification


Any student, other than a nonimmigrant alien, who meets all of the following requirements, shall be exempt from paying nonresident tuition at the California Community Colleges, the California State University and the University of California (all public colleges and universities in California).

The student must have attended a high school (public or private) in California for three or more years.

The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent prior to the start of the term (for example, passing the GED, California High School Proficiency exam, or Certificate of Completion).

An alien student who is without lawful immigration status must file an affidavit with the college or university stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible to do so.

Please submit your documentation as follows: