Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply for financial aid?

The FAFSA, or Free Application for Federal Student Aid, is the basic application for all federal and state financial aid offered at College of the Canyons. You may complete the application at the U.S. Department of Education's Website or

When do I apply?

At a community college you can apply for federal student aid all year long. The FAFSA becomes available October 1st for the following school year. You must apply by the last day of the award year in order to be eligible for financial aid for the current award year.

Do I need to apply for student financial aid every year?

Yes, to continue receiving aid, you must reapply each year and demonstrate that you still have financial need, in others words - YOU MUST RE-QUALIFY EVERY SCHOOL YEAR. Students who filed a FAFSA last year will receive Renewal FAFSA information via mail or email from the U.S. Department of Education. Renewal students may complete a Renewal FAFSA online at or Students submitting a Renewal FAFSA need to only update the information that has changed and answer any blank questions.

How do I check my Financial Aid Status?

After you apply, you will receive an email in your MyCanyons email account from the Financial Aid Office. This email with the subject "Thank you for Applying for Financial Aid at College of the Canyons", will direct you to check your application ONLINE through My Canyons Self Service. Simply login to MyCanyons and click on "Financial Aid Status". It is your responsibility to check the status of your financial aid application. In addition, it is your responsibility to read and understand the Eligibility & Academic Standards for financial aid.

What is an Award Letter or Financial Aid Award Notification?

An Award Letter or Award Notification informs you of your eligibility for student financial aid. It informs you of what financial aid types and dollar amounts for which you have qualified. This award letter is the college's contract with you for the academic year. IMPORTANT NOTE: The college reserves the right to modify your awards at any time. To view your Award Letter check your financial aid status online at MyCanyons.

When will I receive my student financial aid funds?

Your Award Notification will advise you of each type of aid you've been offered. You will find the disbursement dates for each type of aid awarded on the Important Dates page. Grant and Loan funds are disbursed according to your preference selected on

How can I get a student loan?

Students interested in taking out a student loan must complete the Student Loan Activation process from the Financial Aid website.

How do I find out if I qualify for the California College Promise Grant (Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver)?

You must complete a FAFSA, California Dream Application or a California College Promise Grant Application. Qualifying is based on your residency status, prior year income and family household size, or that you are a recipient of public assistant benefits. The California College Promise Grant program provides waivers of enrollment fees for qualified California resident or AB540 students. THIS IS NOT A CASH GRANT. California College Promise Grant applications are available from the Financial Aid, Admissions, Counseling, EOPS/CARE and MESA offices, and is included in the College of the Canyons Schedule of Classes.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress?

Maintain a cumulative 2.0 GPA (grade point average)
Complete at least 67% of ALL units you attempt
Finish your educational objective within 150% of the maximum allowable units.

Page Top