BUS-113 - Retail Management - Valerie Garcia
My name is Valerie Garcia and I will be your instructor for Retail Management. I started my career in retail management and worked my way up into Supply Chain Management.
Introduces principles and practices used in the management of retail stores. Topics include site selection, layout, organization, staffing, positioning, customer service, the critical buying function, and promotional techniques.
What to Expect in this Course
1. Apply principles of consumer behavior as they relate to retailing.
2. Analyze legal, ethical, and social responsibility issues in retail store branding, promotions, and visual communications.
3. Analyze the future of retailing including the potential impact of demographic changes, environmental uncertainties, new competition, and technological innovation on retail practices and possible retail management strategies.
4. Explain the factors relating to successful advertising, promotions, and publicity for retail stores, and to help analyze retailing issues. 5. Analyze how retail consumers process information and make retail buying decisions through influence factors.
6. Analyze and design retail business strategies for traditional physical retail stores, as well as Internet and mobile retail business models.
7. Explain the factors relating to successful visual merchandising.
8. Describe retailing practices today, including kinds of stores and merchandise, and careers in retailing.
Types of Assessments
Quizzes, Discussion posts, short papers
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
No required textbook
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Please visit the Get to Know Your Online Classroom page for help logging into Canvas and for tips on using Canvas and Zoom. Canvas Chat Support is also available 24/7 for any Canvas related issues.
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 10/25/2021 Sub#: 993