BUS-140 - Principles of Marketing - Diane Sionko
|Course:||Principles of Marketing|
Greetings! Happy New Semester!
I hope that you had a great summer and that you are ready to embrace learning about the principles of marketing this semester.
My name is Professor Diane Sionko, and I would like to welcome you to the online version of the “Principles of Marketing” course (BUS 140). I am very excited to work with you this semester, and hope that you will enjoy our course.
I attained my M.B.A. (Masters in Business Administration) from the UCLA Anderson Graduate School of Business. Go Bruins! Over the years, I have had the honor and pleasure of teaching wonderful business students as a full-time professor in the Business Department at the College of the Canyons.
During this semester, I look forward to helping you to learn about the basics of marketing. I am very excited about teaching this online introductory marketing course. It will introduce you to basic marketing concepts, challenge you to integrate creative marketing ideas into your assignments, and enable you to consider various career opportunities for you in marketing. There will be many opportunities for you to learn and grow.
Although this course is taught entirely online with no campus attendance requirement, my hope is to get to know each of you the same as if we interacted face-to-face in a physical classroom. Please feel free to contact me whenever you have questions or ideas.
What will you learn in this Principles of Marketing Course?
This course is designed as a beginning undergraduate college course in marketing. Upon successful completion of this course, students should be able to differentiate between fundamental concepts, theories, and issues of modern marketing. Students should also be able to analyze key marketing issues and propose effective marketing strategies to resolve these issues with emphasis on product, pricing, promotion, and placement strategies. Moreover, students should be able to develop a marketing plan.
What if you are more experienced in business marketing and would like to learn how to write an overall business plan, or learn techniques in one specific area of marketing, such as advertising only or selling only?
Please note that if you are an experienced business marketing professional, this may or may not be the course for you.
- This course focuses on the fundamental concepts of modern marketing in a changing world. The students in this course will study fundamental marketing concepts in such substantive areas as: creating customer value, buying behaviors, market research, market strategy, target market analysis, global marketing, electronic marketing, and sales techniques, with particular emphasis on the marketing mix, including product, pricing, promotion, and distribution decisions.
- There are other business department course offerings that can probably meet your more specific needs, whether you would like to learn how to write a business plan, or learn or improve only your advertising methods or only your selling techniques. Please see the COC College Catalog for a description of other great COC business courses that you might like to take.
What to Expect in this Course
How do you get started with this online marketing course?
This course will be available on COC’s Canvas course management system on the course's start date.
Do you have to login by a certain deadline?
You must log in by the course's start date or you will be dropped from this course.
What are the technology requirements for this online class?
- Reliable computer with reliable, consistent Internet access
- Working web cam and good audio on reliable computer
- Pearson My Marketing Lab web access code
- Up-to-date Google Chrome Internet browser
- Word document software (Microsoft Word)
- PowerPoint presentation software (Microsoft PowerPoint)
- Excel chart and graph software (Microsoft Excel)
- Valid COC My Canyons e-mail address that you check daily
- Use of Canvas and possibly Proctorio
- Cell Phone for taking and uploading photos to Canvas
- Computer skills, such as basic document creation and handling (how to cut/copy/paste from one document to another, how to create and save documents in Microsoft Word and as a pdf file, how to attach documents to e-mail messages and discussion posts, how to create and save a graph/chart/diagram, etc. in Microsoft Excel or Microsoft PowerPoint, and can create a PowerPoint slides presentation and can use online presentation software such as Studio or Screencast-O-Matic.
Types of Assessments
There will be online quizzes, discussion boards, My Marketing Lab assignments, marketing case analysis, marketing plan papers, creative ad or product assignments, and three online exams in this Canvas course. Your syllabus will have more details.
The three proctored online exams will be multiple choice or true/false and may either be with Proctorio or Canvas. Your syllabus will include more details. When you take your proctored online exams in Canvas, you will need to use your computer with a functioning web cam and working audio. Also, you will need to take your proctored closed book online exams with your computer in a quiet space in a room in your home with the room door closed and no other persons in the room. This will help to maintain academic integrity in this online course.
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
"Marketing: An Introduction" by Gary Armstrong and Philip Kotler (14th Edition, 2020), Pearson Publisher, AND Pearson My Marketing Lab Web Access Code (Required)
The My Marketing Lab Web Access Code should include the 14th edition of the textbook. Both the access code and 14th edition of the textbook are REQUIRED.
Please Note: If you purchase the textbook bundle from the COC Bookstore, it should include the My Marketing Lab web access code that contains access to the e-textbook.
The Pearson My Marketing Lab Web Access Code is REQUIRED because it not only provides access to the e-textbook but also to the required class videos, simulations, quizzes, and other class exercises that count toward your overall course grade.
If you choose to purchase the textbook elsewhere, please make sure it comes with the Pearson My Marketing Lab Web Access Code that is tied to the 14th edition of the "Marketing: An Introduction" textbook.
Note also that you can purchase the My Marketing Lab access code when you access it through our Canvas course.
As a temporary courtesy, the Pearson publisher allows students free access to My Marketing Lab for only 14 days.
Other Relevant Course Information
Should you take this marketing course in the online format?
Only you can make that decision. But here is some information that may help you in making your decision. Students who do well in online college courses tend to share the following qualities:
- They are good at motivating themselves to complete work by deadlines.
- They are strong readers and communicate well in writing.
- They have effective time management skills.
- They enjoy active, cooperative learning experiences.
- They have reliable access to the Internet.
- They have basic computer skills, including the ability to cut/copy and paste between documents, send and receive e-mail attachments, and create and save documents in Microsoft Word or pdf format, create and save graphs/charts/diagrams in Microsoft Excel or Microsoft PowerPoint, and can create a PowerPoint slides presentation and can use online presentation software such as Studio or Screencast-O-Matic.
Do you have the motivation and time to commit to this online course?
If you are already familiar with taking online college courses, this class will likely feel comfortable. If this is the first time that you that you will take an online college course, then it is important to realize that there are differences between the online environment and the traditional physical classroom. Since your professor is not physically visible to you in the online environment, it is possible that you may forget about the work required for success in this course. That means that learning online requires good time management skills.
There is a substantial amount of effort required for this course, which may include discussion boards, marketing case analysis, marketing plan, research, readings, writing essays, quizzes, proctored exams, and other assignments. You may expect to spend MANY HOURS per week completing the reading and other work assignments for this course. You may also expect to log in to this class every day for the duration of the course.
But if you are highly motivated to learn and analyze the principles of marketing, then this is the course for you. In our BUS 140 course, motivated students learn to carefully assess marketing issues and develop critical thinking skills needed in the working environment. In addition, students have the opportunity to interact with a wide variety of students of diverse backgrounds and experiences without the limitations of physical classroom time constraints.
Once again, I would like to welcome you to our BUS 140 online course. I look forward to meeting you online in our class.
Professor of Business
College of the Canyons
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 05/30/2022 Sub#: 622