CAWT 160 - Microsoft Access I - Sara Stuart
|Microsoft Access I
This course is currently required for an Associate in Science Degree and Certificate of Achievement: Computer Applications, and Associate in Science Degree: Web Development
ON THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS STUDENTS MUST HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
- Cengage Unlimited MindTap account which includes access to the MindTap Program and the E-Book
- The Microsoft Office 2019 Access application (special student pricing available at http://foundationccc.org/CollegeBuys)
This course introduces the latest version of Microsoft Access. Students will work on a variety of interesting productivity exercises that simulate projects encountered in a modern business environment. Students will be able to assess their progress by using the Cengage Skills Assessment Manager SAM (through MindTap).
The course will be administered 100% online, including all exams. All student assignments will be submitted on Canvas or submitted directly to the MindTap website through the individual assignment links in each module on Canvas.
This course requires proficiency with the operating system of your computer, computer file management, the Internet, a browser (Google Chrome), and the ability to send e-mail.
What to Expect in this Course
Students are expected to spend the appropriate amount of time necessary to complete the weekly assignments.
SKILL REQUIREMENTS --Prior to taking this course, students should have acquired the following skills:
- Proficiency with Microsoft Windows 10 (especially file management).
- Proficiency with the Internet and the browser Google Chrome
- Proficiency with e-mail, including the ability to send and receive attachments.
- Proficiency with the creation and extraction of zip archives (.zip files)
TECHNOLOGY REQUIREMENTS --Prior to taking this course, students must have in their possession or access to the following:
- Cengage Unlimited MindTap account, which includes access to the MindTap Web application, SAM, and the eBbook for this course.
- The complete Microsoft Office 2019 Suite application (Special student pricing at http://foundationccc.org/CollegeBuys)
- NOTE: The Microsoft Office 365 version that is provided free with your COC email account is not compatible with this course. The fee-based, subscription version of Microsoft Office 365 is compatible with this course, but costs more than purchasing the entire Microsoft Office 2019 program outright for a one-time fee with your student discount through the Foundation of California Community Colleges (See link above).
- Reliable access to broadband Internet
- A PC computer with Windows 10. An Apple Macintosh cannot be used for this class.
- Browser software (Latest version of Google Chrome). SAM is optimized for use with the Google Chrome browser. Do NOT use the Microsoft Internet Explorer or Edge browsers for this class.
- Adobe Reader, latest version (free download at www.adobe.com)
- Adobe Flash Player, latest version (free download at www.adobe.com). Make sure that you uncheck all optional offers such as the McAfee anti-virus download before downloading the Flash Player.
- A media player that is compatible with mpg4, mov, wmv, and swf formats (free VLC media player is recommended: www.videolan.org)
- A College of the Canyons e-mail account
- IMPORTANT: Students must have access to a Windows-compatible desktop or regular laptop computer to work effectively with SAM. Use of the Surface Pro, tablets, or smartphones is problematic with SAM and these devices are not adequate for this class. SAM, as we use it, is also incompatible with the Macintosh operating system.
NOTE: MAC COMPUTERS WITH MS OFFICE 365/MS OFFICE 2019 FOR MAC MAY NOT BE USED FOR THIS COURSE
Types of Assessments
Online projects, exams, and graded discussions.
Cengage Unlimited Subscription Instant Access. See additional information below.
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
Often the pressure on our students is very strong, involving academic commitments, relationships, outside jobs and family pressure to name a few. The staff and faculty of College of the Canyons are here to see you succeed academically and care about your emotional and physical health. You can learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including counseling and mental health services available on campus by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center in the Student Services Building (across from the bookstore). The phone number is 661-362-3259 that you can call 24/7. You can also e mail for an appointment at StudentHealthCenter@canyons.edu. At the Canyon Country Campus the Health Center will be in the new Student Services Building.
Also, the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline number is now 988. All students at COC are encouraged to enter that phone number in their cells. You can call it when you, or someone you know, is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress.
You can also now use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. Someone will get back to you immediately. Its free, 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 10/05/2021 Sub#: 705