ECE-101 - Child Growth and Development - Jennifer Paris
|Course:||Child Growth and Development|
Dear Online Students,
I want to welcome you to ECE 101: Child Growth and Development. I am looking forward to working with you.
The best way to communicate with me is through email. My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I will do my best to reply to you within one business day (and often the turnaround time is much shorter as I check my email very frequently). Be sure to email me through Canvas or using your My Canyons email address.
Some important information I would like you to have before the class begins:
- The syllabus will be emailed to your My Canyons email before the start of the class. Please be sure to read it.
- You can request help from me and find many useful resources on the Online Education page (look at the options in the Student Resource tab’s drop down menu).
What to Expect in this Course
- Be aware that if you have never taken an online class before, there are different assessments such as ours here at College of the Canyons, one from the Illinois Online Network, and this one from MiraCosta College, to provide you information to help you determine if online classes will be a good fit for you.
- You may also find this video introducing online and hybrid learning at College of the Canyons helpful.
- You will be utilizing Canvas for this course. You will be sent an email notification when the course is available (it will be made available before the official start date, so you can do some “test driving.” I strongly encourage you to get started early).
- You can find an abundance of information about Canvas online. You may find these video tutorials
Types of Assessments
Make sure you have set aside approximately 9 hours a week for the class. Plan your schedule and access to a computer and the internet to allow you to meet the due dates each week. Try to avoid waiting until the last minute to submit your work.
You textbook for this course is an Open Education Resources textbook written by ECE Department faculty. It will be available free online (to read online and/or to print on your own) and you can purchase the book printed black and white through our Bookstore.
Other Relevant Course Information
The class is fully online. You will be able to complete all of your coursework without any presence on either of the College of the Canyons campuses.
- In order to keep your seat in the class (and avoid being dropped) you must:
- Log in on (or before) the second day of class.
- Complete the Start Here work by the first Friday of the class.
If you have any questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am here to support you and facilitate your success in the course.
Welcome and best wishes,
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: email@example.com)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
Often the pressure on our students is very strong, involving academic commitments, relationships, outside jobs and family pressure to name a few. The staff and faculty of College of the Canyons are here to see you succeed academically and care about your emotional and physical health. You can learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including counseling and mental health services available on campus by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center in the Student Services Building (across from the bookstore). The phone number is 661-362-3259 that you can call 24/7. You can also e mail for an appointment at StudentHealthCenter@canyons.edu. At the Canyon Country Campus the Health Center will be in the new Student Services Building.
Also, the National Suicide & Crisis Lifeline number is now 988. All students at COC are encouraged to enter that phone number in their cells. You can call it when you, or someone you know, is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress.
You can also now use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. Someone will get back to you immediately. Its free, 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 09/01/2022 Sub#: 869