Student Access Resources
You will find a variety of access resources and technology in the AAC lab located on our Valencia Campus. While our lab is currently closed due to pandemic related restrictions, there are many accessible resources and technologies that you can be using right now, for FREE.
AAC Training Videos
- Accessible ZOOM and CANVAS
- Read Out Loud (Google Chrome Plugin)
- Livescribe Echo Smart Pen
- Kurzweil 3000 Online
Adaptive Software and Apps for Home
Screen reading and text-to-speech software and applications may be built into your current Microsoft Windows or MAC Operation System. They may also be installed within your Chrome or Saffari internet browser..
SCREEN READERs in an Operating System:
SCREEN MAGNIFIERs in an Operating System:
TEXT-TO-SPEECH plug-ins for the Chrome internet browser:
TEXT-TO-SPEECH plug-ins for the Safari internet browser:
VIsual Distraction Reduction and Reading Tools For The MAC Chrome Internet browser:
Dark Mode (for light sensitivity) Chrome Plugin:
AAC Lab, Adaptive Software, and Apps
The High Tech Center is a place where students can study in an accessible environment using a fully accessible computer lab filled with adaptive technology, software, and hardware. Our staff us ready to assist you with:
- Accessing your online coursework though CANVAS.
- Providing you with adaptive computer stations that work for your specific needs and requirements.
- Access to Microsoft Office Suite to write papers and complete classwork in an accessible and welcoming environment.
- ZOOM ready technologies for online and hybrid classes, including web cameras, headsets, and fast/steady/free internet access.
- Computer Mice: Joystick style mice, left handed wrist relief mice, trackball mice, mice wrist rests and support arms.
- Keyboards: Large print/Large Key keyboards, ergonomic keyboards, high contrast keyboards, and on screen keyboards.
- And a LOT MORE!
All students who are registered with the AAC department may access the AAC Computer Lab/High Tech Center during our regularly scheduled operating hours.
The High Tech Center is:
- Located in room SECO-103, Valencia Campus.
- The AAC Computer Lab/High Tech Center are now open. Masks are required at all times while using the AAC Computer Lab/High Tech Center.
In the High Tech Center, we provide many digital tools that support those in the College of the Canyons community.
Kurzweil 3000 is a web-based literacy support program that provides cloud based e-text solutions with a range of vocal customization settings, integrated dictionary and thesaurus, highlighting and note taking options, and so much more. Kurzweil 3000 accounts are assigned to students on a case-by-case basis who have qualifying disabilities.
The Echo Livescribe Smartpen syncs the audio taken in the classroom with the written notes you take. This allows you to playback the desired parts of your lecture. Echo Livescribe Smartpens are checked out to students on a case-by-case basis who have qualifying disabilities.
Screen Reading Tool
FUSION (Formerly Job Access With Speech or JAWS), is the world's most popular screen reader, developed for computer users whose vision loss prevents them from seeing screen content or navigating with a mouse. FUSION provides speech and Braille output for the most popular computer applications on your PC.
Speech Recognition Tool
Dragon Naturally Speaking is a speech recognition software that types the text you speak into your computer. This allows you to put the text you need into websites, emails, and documents. Dragon let’s you use your computer hands free by letting you speak your commands.