What is the Adult Reentry Alliance?
The Adult Reentry Alliance is an affinity group focused on supporting the success of adult learners. This alliance will host a variety of events each month related to this student population's needs. Please fill out the Student Interest Survey to receive more information and be invited to upcoming events.
Our services include:
- Individual Counseling Appointments
- Monthly Support Groups
- A Canvas shell to help students connect and obtain information
- Specific events for this population and much more!
- Information Sessions
- Career Counseling and Assessments
- e-Advising for quick questions
- Unique website dedicated to reentry students
Under the auspices of the Counseling Office at College of the Canyons, we provide a variety of resources for the returning adult student who is seeking information about returning to college, educational planning, and career options.
Adult reentry students returning to school typically do so after a gap in their education. As an adult returning to college after an absence, there may be concerns and challenges that are different from traditional age college students. Some examples could be feeling lost and not being sure where to begin, scheduling issues with work and home life, childcare issues, more financial responsibility, and possibly even self-doubt about your own abilities returning to college or coming for the very first time.
Here are a wide range of reasons why Adult Reentry Students make the decision to return to college:
- Ready for the challenge of a college education.
- Did not finish high school and now desire an education.
- Divorced or widowed; veteran; displaced worker
- College career was interrupted because of work, family and/or economic situation.
- Want to make a career or lifestyle change.
- Want to enhance specific skills or fulfill new goals.
- Learn new skills for a job promotion.
- Embark upon new challenges for personal self-fulfillment.
The Counselors at College of the Canyons are here to ensure a smooth transition to
college. We provide academic planning, career exploration and assessment, life skills,
and referrals to outside services and community resources.
All of us at College of the Canyons are here to help you succeed. The Counseling department welcomes you and is dedicated to making your new beginnings an exciting, productive, and life-enhancing experience!
You can contact the Counseling office to make an appointment and see any counselor. If you have any difficulty getting an appointment, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance and specify you are an adult reentry student. In addition, you can ask quick questions on e-Advising.
The hardest part is taking the first step. We will help you with the rest. You got this!
Counseling Department is located in Canyons Hall 2nd Floor, Room 216.
COC IS CURRENTLY WORKING REMOTELY, BUT SERVICES ARE STILL AVAILABLE. YOU CAN STILL SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT VIA ZOOM, OR AN EXPRESS DROP-IN OR EMAIL.
PLEASE VISIT THE WEBSITE TO SCHEDULE YOUR COUNSELING APPOINTMENT TODAY:
To find out about the various Alliances that exist at COC, please visit the COC Alliances website:
ALL RESOURCES ON CAMPUS ARE UP AND RUNNING, SO PLEASE TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SERVICES YOU MAY NEED.
"I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel".
~ Maya Angelou ~