Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Types of Aid


Grants are a form of financial aid that doesn't have to be paid back (unless you withdraw from any or all your classes). Federal grant programs include Pell Grants, awarded to low-income students and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants for low-income students with exceptional financial need. Cal Grants are funded by the State of California and are administered by the California Student Aid Commission.

Student Loans

Federal loans are borrowed funds that you must repay with interest. A federal student loan allows students and their parents to borrow money to help pay for college through loan programs supported by the federal government. They have low interest rates and offer flexible repayment terms, benefits, and options.

Workstudy Program

The Federal Workstudy program offers on-campus part-time employment to qualified students. The program is need based, and is a type of "self-help" financial aid that must be earned through work.


Scholarships are a form of aid that is based upon specific qualifications, talents, or merit, often without regard to financial need. Hundreds of thousands of scholarships and fellowships from several thousand public and private sponsors are awarded each year. Most scholarships have their own application and requirements.

California College Promise Grant

The California College Promise Grant known as the Board of Governors Fee Waiver, waives enrollment fees for qualified students for the entire school year. Students may receive a waiver for any number of units, with no minimum. You qualify if you have some financial need, receive Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (AFDC/TANF), Supplemental Security Income/SSP or General Assistance and those who meet certain income standards.