Skip to main contentSkip to footer

Foster Youth Eligibility

“Foster youth” means a person who is currently in foster care, and “former foster youth” means a person who is an emancipated foster youth and who is 24 years of age or younger.

There are two accepted forms of verification for foster youth status:

  1. Ward of the Court or Dependency letter on official county letterhead from the student’s county-of-origin
  2. County Foster Care Verification Card

As mandated by the California Department of Social Services, counties must provide youth with a proof of county dependency status for education and applications. The form in which this proof comes varies by county, but must include the following information:

  • Youth Name
  • Date of birth
  • Current mailing address and Independent Living Program contact number
  • County Identification Number (aid payment number used to identify youth in out-of-home care) or Probation Identification Number
  • Dependency/Ward of the Court start date
  • Dependency/Ward of the Court termination end date (court date)

Inspire Scholars Services

Services are available to current/former foster:

  • Educational, Career and Personal Counseling (as related to academics)
  • Priority Registration (verifiable documentation required)
  • Textbook Vouchers
  • Meal cards
  • Transportation cards (gas and TAP)
  • School Supply Assistance
  • Transfer fee waivers
  • Letters of recommendation
  • Inspire Scholars institutional scholarship (must apply in spring semester)
  • In-house mental health counseling with licensed therapist
  • Academic Advocacy
  • Progress Monitoring
  • Support Services (help with completing enrollment steps and financial aid application)
  • Resource Referrals
  • Inspire Scholars Snack Stop
  • Access to Shower Facilities
  • Personal Care Supplies
  • Workshops, Meet-ups, Special events

*Services based on available funding.