Get Started here! If you are a Dreamer/Undocumented student planning on attending College of the Canyons, you are in the right place. Here you will find the support you need to complete your new student steps along with your residency requirements and more! Our goal is to guide, assist and successfully get you started on your journey here at COC!
Please contact us for any assistance as you get ready to begin your college journey!
Our Outreach Team supports Spanish speaking students & families.
New Student Checklist for Dreamers
Note: Complete all of the steps on this checklist.
Electronic Dreamers Checklist 2024
Applying is easy and FREE! Complete and submit the California Community College application using the CCC Apply website.
- Email 1 - Within a few hours of submitting your application you will receive a "College of the Canyons - Applicant Nonresident Determination" email with residency instructions. (Note: Once you receive this e-mail start working on submitting your residency paperwork. See below for further residency instructions and to determine your residency circumstance).
- Email 2 - Within 24-48 hours of submitting your application, you will receive a "College of the Canyons Admissions Acceptance" email from the college with instructions on how to complete the remaining new student steps. Once you have received this email, you will need to activate your CanyonsID to set up your My Canyons student account.
- The application is best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, not your phone.
- Utilize Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Do not use Safari.
- If you want to take classes the summer before your first fall semester, you must submit two applications: one for summer and one for fall.
First time applying? Here's a video to help you!
Now that you have watched the video go ahead and click on OpenCCC to create an account. Keep your OpenCCC username and password in a safe place. After creating your OpenCCC account, you are ready to apply to College of the Canyons.
Start at the OpenCCC website by using the button below:
If you still need help creating your OpenCCC account or submitting your college application, connect with a COC Outreach Representative!
Once you have applied and received the college's "Admissions Acceptance" instruction email, you are ready to set up your student account in My Canyons.
How to set up your My Canyons Account:
- Activate your CanyonsID login at my.canyons.edu (or click on the button below).
- Click on Log In at the top.
- You will enter the CanyonsID username and password as instructed in your "Admissions
- If you have trouble, please visit our CanyonsID for Students website for instructions.
- Once you have successfully logged in, you will need your Student ID number to continue through this checklist. You can find your Student ID number by clicking on 'My Canyons Profile' and select 'What's My Student ID?'.
Click on the button below to set up your My Canyons account.
Financial Aid can help you pay for your tuition and educational expenses. If you are an AB-540 eligible student, you can complete the California Dream Act application. Start your application soon after you apply to the college as the processing time can take weeks to complete.
You may also qualify for additional financial assistance from Extended Opportunities Programs & Services (EOPS). To learn more about the program including eligibility requirements and application deadlines, visit www.canyons.edu/eops.
Understanding Financial Aid Video
Assessment and Advisement services are available for students to complete ONLINE!
Assessment will provide you with your course placements in math and English/ESL as well as resources that may be a good fit for you. The online assessment module will first show you a short instructional training, and then you will be provided with information on how to access and start the assessment itself. The entire process takes about 20 minutes to complete. Additional resources can be found on the Assessment homepage. If you need help, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisement will provide you with the tools you need to learn how to select the right courses and programs to meet your educational goals. The online advisement module will help you make connections between your assessment results, career goals, majors, and the courses you should take in your first semester. For this reason, you should complete your assessment prior to starting your advisement. At the end of the Advisement module, you will be given the opportunity to request follow-up services with an Academic Advisor for one-on-one support. Additional resources can be found on the Advisement homepage. If you need help, contact email@example.com.
- These online services are best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, not your phone. If you only have a phone, they are still accessible.
- Utilize Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Do not use Safari.
- You will need your COC Student ID number to access the online services. Do not mistake this number for your CCC apply number or a confirmation number.
My Academic Plan (MAP) is an online educational planning tool that will show you the classes you need to take to meet your educational goal. Within MAP, you will build your first semester educational plan utilizing the knowledge you gained during your advisement. This should be started once you have completed your assessment and advisement.
- Assessment results will typically be available in MAP within 48-72 business hours after you have completed assessment.
- If you need assistance with building your MAP, our Academic Advisors are here to help at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Online Orientation is designed to provide you with information about college procedures, programs, support services and policies. Please give yourself about 30 minutes of quiet time to complete this step.
There are two ways to access the online orientation. You can access it through your My Canyons account. Log in to you student My Canyons account and under the 'Admissions & Records' tile, click on "Online Orientation". Or, you can click on the "Online Orientation" button below.
- The orientation is best viewed on a desktop or laptop computer, not your phone. If you only have a phone, they are still accessible.
- Utilize Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox web browsers. Do not use Safari.
- You will need your COC Student ID number to access the online services. Do not mistake this number for your OpenCCC number or a confirmation number.
Start your orientation now!
Registration occurs online, and may be completed on or after your assigned date and time. You can begin registering for classes on your assigned date and time, which can be found in your My Canyons account under the 'My Registration' tile:
- On or around January 26 for Summer
- On or around April 12 for Fall
- On or around August 30 for Winter
- On or around September 30 for Spring
If your "My Academic Plan" (MAP) is complete for the term you are registering for, you can register directly from your plan. This is the best way to register for your classes.
Additionally, you can register for classes using My Canyons. You will select the 'My Registration' tile from the My Canyons menu.
Notice: Payment for your classes is due at the time you register. Your registration process is not complete until you have paid for your classes. To view your semester statement, please select the 'My Billing' tile in My Canyons.
Choose Your Residency Circumstance
AB-540 Eligible Students - Submit the following paperwork to find out if you are AB-540 Eligible:
- Residency Affidavit Questionnaire
- AB-540 Tuition Exemption Form
- Official High School Transcripts and/or California Documentation
You are an AB-540 eligible student if you meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Attended a California high school for at least 3 years;
- Graduated from a California high school, got a GED or passed the California High School Proficiency Exam;
- Are registered or enrolled at a California community college;
- If required, complete an affidavit saying you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for legal immigration status.
Learn more about AB-540!