WELD 101A - Introduction to Shielded Metal Arc Welding - David Bell
|Course:||Introduction to Shielded Metal Arc Welding|
Hello and Welcome to Weld 101A - Introduction to Shielded Metal Arc Welding. You will learn the proper use and inspection of personal protection equipment (PPE) and interpret basic welding terminology as it applies to common welding industry applications. You will operate welding and thermal cutting equipment to industry accepted safety requirements. And you will perform shielded metal arc welding to industry standards in the flat and horizontal position.
The first of a three-part series introducing the theory and application of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW). Emphasizes safety procedures, use of SMAW consumables & welding equipment, and proper welding techniques in accordance with the American Welding Society SENSE EG2.0 Entry-Level Welder program and the National Coalition of Certification Centers (NC3).
What to Expect in this Course
Weld 101A will consist of two instructional delivery methods: 1) All class lectures will be remotely - via Zoom, reading assignments, videos and exams will be performed through the online learning management system called CANVAS; 2) All lab work will be conducted on-ground at the Valencia campus in room TWSH-120. There will be NO classroom instruction in the course.
Types of Assessments
There will be homework assignments, 3 chapter exams and a cumulative final exam which will be taken in Canvas, 2 AWS SENSE exams will be taken at, www.senseonline.org . And welding projects, which will be completed in the welding lab at COC.
Textbook Information / Link to ZTC Textbook
(1) Arc welding helmet
(5) Extra clear lenses for welding helmet
(1) Pair of arc welding gloves
(1) Welding Jacket (all leather preferred)
(1) Clear Safety glasses (ANSI 78.1 rated)
(1) Sturdy leather work boots (high rise)
(1) Chipping hammer
(1) Large wire brush
(1) 4 ½ - 5” electric (120VAC) powered grinder
(2) Hard disks for grinder (for grinding steel)
(1) Wire wheel for grinder (for cleaning welds)
(1) High powered flashlight or (120VAC) lamp
(1) VISE-GRIP 6 in. C-Clamp Locking Pliers (or equivalent)
(1) VISE-GRIP 6 in. Groove lock V-Jaw Pliers (or equivalent)
Note: Be sure and put your name on each tool. The approximate price for all the aforementioned items is $200.00. I will discuss the required tools with you on our live lecture - via Zoom. Recommended distributors: * Airgas West 23047 Drayton St, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 (661) 284-5900 Praxair Distribution. Inc. 21450 Golden Triangle Rd, Santa Clarita, CA 91350 · Friendly Valley (661) 284-3519 Matheson Tri Gas 13245 Maclay Street San Fernando, CA 91340 (818)-898-2222 * Mention to these distributors that you are a student to receive a discount.
Goodheart-Wilcox Publisher Modern Welding 12th Edition Hardcopy Textbook and the G-W online access.
Additional Textbook Information
Modern Welding 2020 – Bundle - Textbook + Common Cartridge 2 year access, ISBN # 978-1-64564-016-5
Modern Welding 2020 – Bundle - Textbook + Common Cartridge 1 year access, ISBN # 978-1-63563-913-1
Other Relevant Course Information
- You will need to access to a PC, laptop, or tablet that has access to a reliable, high-speed internet connection.
- Microsoft Word. You can download the Microsoft Office Suite for FREE as part of your school My Canyons account (my.canyons.edu).
- A Canvas smartphone app is available to download! (Canvas by Instructure).
All live lectures will be on Zoom (https://canyonsonline.zoom.us/meeting) and all announcements, handouts, assignments, quizzes and exams will be in Canvas (https://coc.instructure.com/login/canvas). Please review the scheduled Zoom lecture agenda via Canvas in Announcements for instructions for logging on and lecture dates and times.
- New Requirement: Starting Monday, Feb. 7 2022, vaccinated students and employees who have not received a booster shot must provide a weekly negative COVID-19 test to be on campus.
- Everyone entering our campuses must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and booster or negative test result. Students and employees can check in on the Canyons M app. Visitors must stop at a Health & Safety Check-in Station upon entering campus.
- Face masks must be worn indoors while on campus. Only medical grade, surgical, N95 or KN95 masks are permitted. Cloth face masks are no longer allowed.
Vaccination proof and test results will be securely collected through a page on the college’s website. Please upload your documentation here: https://www.canyons.edu/administration/pio/notices/vaccination-status.php
If you have any questions about this course, send me an email. I am happy to answer any questions you may have.
This course can be accessed on the first day of class via Canvas at https://coc.instructure.com. Log into Canvas using your CanyonsID single sign-on:
- CanyonsID Username is your COC student email address (Ex: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- CanyonsID Password is your COC student email password
Check out the Online Education website for more information on a variety of topics that can help you be a successful online student such as: exam proctoring, learning styles, computer skills, and tips for student success. If this is your first online course, feel free to take our online learning readiness assessment to assess your skills.
The Learning Center (TLC)
The TLC provides FREE online tutoring resources to COC students!
Academic Accommodation Center (AAC)
College of the Canyons AAC provides educational services and access for eligible students with documented disabilities who intend to pursue coursework at COC. A variety of programs and services are available which afford eligible students with disabilities the opportunity to participate fully in all aspects of the college programs and activities through appropriate and reasonable accommodations. For more information on their services visit the Academic Accomodation Center website.
The Counseling Department offers appointments online. You can schedule an appointment by visiting the Online Counseling website. Counselors can help you map out a plan to reach your educational goals as well as advise you on course selection and registration.
Management of Stress and Mental Health
College of the Canyons cares about your emotional and physical health. Learn more about the broad range of confidential student services, including free counseling and mental health services available during this time by visiting the Student Health & Wellness Center website or by calling them at: 661-362-3259.
The National Suicide Lifeline number is 1-800-273- 8255 (TALK). Please call it if you or someone you know is having thoughts of suicide or is in severe distress - it could save someone's life.
You can also use the Crisis Text Line: Just text "Courage" to 741741. It's free, available 24/7, and confidential.
Veterans Resource Center
The College of the Canyons Veterans Resource Center is a department within the Student Services Division at the college, created to help veterans and veteran dependents with applying to College of the Canyons, enrolling in classes, and requesting VA Education or Vocational Benefits. For more information please visit the Veterans Resource Center website, email email@example.com or phone (661) 362-3469.
The Library provides live online and in-person research help, access to a full range of e-resources and physical materials that support the curriculum, individual and group study areas, and much more!
Last updated: 09/01/2022 Sub#: 1380