Q. What is Water Systems Technology?

A. The Water Systems Technology program is primarily designed for students interested in becoming water system operators for treatment, distribution, or wastewater facilities.

Q. What kind of certification do I get when I finish the program and how long does it take?

A. The program offers both an Associate of Science Degree (60 units) and a Certificate of Achievement (21 units). The Associate of Science Degree program is a 2-year program since it requires a total of 60 units (21 program units and 39 general education units). The Certificate of Achievement program can be completed in 1-year as it only requires 21 units.

How long it takes for you to complete the program depends on you, the student. Are you a full time student? Are you a part-time student? Are you working and going to school? How many units can you reasonably and successfully complete in any given semester?

Q. How do I get my Certificate or Degree?

A. Degrees and Certificates are not automatically awarded. You will need to petition for your degree or certificate. All of the information you need including filing deadlines, can be found on the Admissions and Records website.

The Petition for Associate Degree and the Petition for Certificate forms can be foundon the Admissions and Records Forms page.

Q. What are the requirements to enroll in the program? How do I enroll?

A. There are no program requirements to get started. Your first step would be to enroll at the college and then register for classes. COC New Student Enrollment Information.

Q. What classes do I have to take?

A. The required courses for both the degree and the certificate can be found on the water systems technology program page. Additionally you can find recommended pathways showing the semester by semester sequence of courses for both the AS Degree and the Certificate on the Academic Affairs Academic Programs page.

Q. How much does the program cost?

COC is a California Community College and our tuition and fees are established by the State of California. The current tuition and fees can be found on the Student Business Office fee page.

Q. Will this program make me qualified to be a treatment, distribution, or wastewater operator?

The program is designed to prepare students for a career in water treatment, distribution, and/or wastewater. Our coursework qualifies students for the various certification examinations given by the State Water Resources Control and required for employment.

State Water Resources minimum qualifications for Water Treatment exams and certification aligned with the COC Water program courses.

State Water Resources minimum qualifications for Water Distribution exams and certification aligned with the COC Water program courses.
In addition, the program provides those currently working in the industry CEUs for State Certification renewal. For additional information on state certification, check out the California State Water Resources Control Board.


Q. Will I be able to get a job? Does the program provide job placement services?

A. The program does not provide formal job placement services however the career services office on campus can assist students (free of charge) with finding employment including resume writing/review, job searches, workshops, interview practice, etc.

Additionally we work closely with local industry to develop and offer internships. When we receive job announcements from industry, this information is passed along directly to all the students in the program.

For more specific information, check out the State of California labor market supply and demand data or the Bureau of Labor Statistics website.

China Dam


Q. How do I make an appointment with a Career Counselor?

A. COC students can make an appointment to see a career counselor online. Students have the option to meet with a Career Counselor, a Career Advisor, or a Job Developer and the appointment page clarifies each service.

Check out the Career Center website for additional Career Center services and information. All of these services are FREE to COC students.

Q. How do I make an appointment to see a college counselor? Are there online appointments?

A. COC is one of a few community colleges in California that offer comprehensive academic counseling online. Students can schedule an appointment online and meet with a COC counselor through the WebEx application. All that is needed is: A computer or mobile device, with a microphone, webcam, and internet connection. To make an appointment visit canyons.edu/onlinecounseling. Appointments are also available for face to face meetings.

Here are some comments students have made about their online experience:

"It was easier to schedule an appointment." - Anonymous student

"Convenient and saved time and money from having to travel to COC." - Anonymous student

"I was able to use the WebEx app through my iPhone to complete the counseling session, which made it super easy and really helped me out." - Anonymous student

"Definitely going to do online counseling again.
- Anonymous student

Ground water flow.

Water pipe.