Quarantine After Travel
April 15, 2021
Dear Colleagues –
This is an update on the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s current advisory regarding travel. We understand the desire to travel and return to some sense of normalcy. However, health officials have enacted quarantine requirements, as travel can increase the risk of becoming infected with and transmitting COVID-19.
Here are the current guidelines issued by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health that College of the Canyons will be following:
Not Fully Vaccinated Persons
- All travelers who are not fully vaccinated should get tested with a COVID-19 viral test (swab or saliva) 1-3 days before travel. Travel should not be initiated until a negative test result is returned.
- All travelers who test positive or develop symptoms of COVID-19 must isolate and follow County isolation instructions. Do not travel when symptomatic or with a positive COVID-19 test result, regardless of vaccination status, follow county isolation instructions and, if you are working on campus, notify the COVID-19 Health Officer at (661) 362-5563.
- All non-essential travelers who are not fully vaccinated arriving in or returning
to California from other states or countries must quarantine as per Los Angeles County Department of Public Health’s current advisory.
- Quarantine for 7 full days after travel if you get tested and receive a negative COVID-19 viral test (swab or saliva) result from a specimen collected 3-5 days after your arrival.
- Quarantine for 10 full days after travel if you did not get tested with a COVID-19 viral test after your arrival.
- For 14 days after your arrival, continue to self-monitor for symptoms of COVID-19, and avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness. You must isolate and should get tested if symptoms develop.
Fully Vaccinated Persons
A person is considered fully vaccinated two or more weeks following the receipt of:
- The second dose in a 2-dose series (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna)
- One dose of a single-dose vaccine (Johnson and Johnson/Janssen)
Fully vaccinated persons may travel but should continue to take precautions. Fully vaccinated travelers may travel domestically (except to Hawaii) without a pre- or post-travel test and without quarantining if they do not have symptoms of COVID-19 after domestic travel. For international travel, see the CDC’s International Travel During COVID-19 web page for more information.
- After travel, fully vaccinated persons must:
- Self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms for 14 days upon return to Los Angeles County; isolate and get tested if symptoms develop.
- With international travel only, a viral test 3-5 days post travel is recommended.
Please note, if you plan to come to campus, you will be asked on your employee health log to disclose if you have traveled out of state or out of the country. If you traveled domestically and are fully vaccinated you will be approved to come to campus.
You are expected to be honest in your response and if you need to quarantine due to non-essential travel and/or you are not fully vaccinated, you will be unable to come to campus for work until your quarantine period is over. If you need to quarantine, please inform your supervisor, and make arrangements with them to work from home, if possible, or use leave time to cover your absence. The state recently enacted Supplemental Paid Sick Leave, which can be used by employees in the event of a travel-related quarantine absence.
Thank you for your continued efforts to protect the health and safety of the campus community.
Incident Command Team