Return-to-Campus Plan: Culinary Arts
- The District shall ensure that all essential infrastructure classrooms and workspaces are disinfected daily using the safest and most effective disinfectant necessary as recommended by federal, state, and/or local health officials. Common areas and frequently touched objects such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, phones, keyboards, elevator switches and buttons, touch screens, printers/copiers, grab bars, handrails and bathrooms will be cleaned and disinfected multiple times per day and will be informed by the schedule of essential infrastructure programs at the Valencia campus.
- During skills practice, it will be the faculty and students’ responsibility to disinfect workspaces and shared equipment using an alcohol-based disinfectant provided by the District.
- Equipment will be assigned to one student until completion of the assignment or the end of the session.
- Instructors shall assign a designated station for students and Labs will be limited to 8 people.
Changes in teaching area layout
- One chair per table will be utilized in the iCUE café.
- Classrooms and the demo kitchen will remain locked for the duration of labs. One student is permitted to use the restroom at a time to assure spacing as required by the LA County Department of Public Health. Only faculty and staff are permitted to use ICUE restrooms. Students must use outside restrooms.
Changes in class enrollment size
- Class size capacity is limited to 8 students per kitchen.
- As practical (given weather & security) exterior and interior doors will be propped open at least 15 minutes prior to the start of a session
- A designated area for students and faculty to park is designated in lot 13 or 15.
- Parking will be only in designated spaces.
- Per the CDC, carpooling is discouraged.
- Students transitioning to a course immediately following a course that has just ended shall be informed they are not permitted to enter the classroom until 10 minutes prior to the start time of the next course. While waiting, students are to also maintain physical distancing. Once labs have concluded, students must leave the premise immediately as required by the LA County Department of Public Health.
Entrance/exit to and from classroom/laboratory area
- The ICUE front door will be designated “Entrance Only” and the side door by faculty offices will be designated “Exit Only”.
- Faculty and students shall be required to complete the daily online health self- assessment and submit to a non-contact temperature scan each day prior to instruction. Cleared students will be provided a sticker indicating both steps have been completed. This sticker will be shown to the instructor upon arrival to the classroom.
- Health screening for Culinary Arts students will be set up Aliso Hall.
- In-person health assessments will be conducted in compliance with LA County Department of Public Health requirements.
Physical distancing techniques
[including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and apparel requirements]
- During skills practice / training, alternative methods to physical distancing required by the LA County Department of Public Health as described in Physical Distancing Options, may be used.
- All students, staff, and faculty are required to wear appropriate face coverings (mask or face shield)in all Culinary lab areas.
- When in the lab, students” workstations will be spaced ~6’ apart and shall be considered proper physical distancing.
- Students shall always wear a fresh pair of nitrile gloves in the lab. Proper hand washing shall also take place. The District will provide both nitrile gloves and sanitizer solution.
- During observation of students, physical distancing techniques can be achieved by both student and instructor facing in the same direction (e.g. not looking at each other).
- Students will be required to bring their own water bottles.
- Refilling of personal bottles on campus will not be permitted and the district will not provide water.
- Breaks will be scheduled by the instructor.
- Coordination of breaks between other classes shall be scheduled to minimize overlap.
- Students will be limited to one person at a time in restrooms.
- Students will be instructed to maintain physical distancing required by the LA County Department of Public Health at all times.
- All lecture type activities will be conducted remotely. This does not apply to any program with hands-on demonstrations.
- When close contact is required with students, the instructor shall wear a clear face shield provided by the District. In lieu of a face shield, when close contact is required, an instructor may wear a clear face covering provided by the District.