Return-to-Campus Plan: Medical Technology
- The District shall ensure that all essential infrastructure classrooms and workspaces are disinfected daily using the safest and most effective disinfectant necessary as recommended by federal, state, and/or local health officials. Common areas and frequently touched objects such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, handles, phones, keyboards, elevator switches and buttons, touch screens, printers/copiers, grab bars, handrails and bathrooms will be cleaned and disinfected multiple times per day and will be informed by the schedule of essential infrastructure programs at the Valencia campus.
- During skills practice, it will be the faculty and students’ responsibility to disinfect workspaces and shared equipment between and after use employing an alcohol- based disinfectant.
- Equipment will be assigned to only one student until completion of the assignment or the end of the session.
- After the surface disinfection procedure is completed the Biosafety Cabinet(BSC) will be misted down heavily with an alcohol solution which will be allowed to evaporate into the HEPA filter, resulting in disinfection of the HEPA filter as well.
Changes in teaching area layout
- Every other space will not be used.
- Each space will be assigned to one student per semester.
- Students will be able to leave lab coats and dedicated face shields on their chairs when departing the classroom.
Changes in class enrollment size
- Class size is limited 8 students in Towsley Hall room 104.
- As practical (given weather & security) exterior and interior doors will be propped open at least 15 minutes prior to the start of a session.
- A designated area for students and faculty to park will be identified.
- Parking will be only in designated spaces.
- Per the CDC, carpooling is discouraged.
Entrance/exit to and from classroom/laboratory area
- One door will be designated “Entrance Only” and another door “Exit Only”.
- Doors will be kept closed when class is in session. The biosafety cabinet will be turned “on” and left operating to maintain the proper air changes per hour and minimize risk of airborne disease transmission.
- Faculty and students shall be required to complete the daily online health self-assessment and submit to a non-contact temperature scan each day prior to instruction. Cleared students will be provided a sticker indicating both steps have been completed. This sticker will be shown to the instructor upon arrival to the classroom.
- Health screening for Medical Lab Technician students will be set up Aliso Hall by the District.
- In-person health assessments will be conducted in compliance with LA County Department of Public Health requirements.
Physical distancing techniques
[including Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and apparel requirements]
- During skills practice / training, alternative methods to physical distancing required by the LA County Department of Public Health as described in Appendix 3 of the COVID-19 Return to Campus Plan (May 2020), Physical Distancing Options, may be used.
- Students will have a face shield with their name on it (stored in non-plastic containers or on bench top).
- Face coverings are be used at all times in the lab.
- Nitrile gloves will be used at all times in the lab except when entering or exiting. Prior to leaving the lab, gloves will be removed and disposed of properly. Hands will be washed per CDC guidelines. Door handles will NOT be touched with gloved hands.
- Only one person will be permitted at the sink at a time. Physical distancing as required by the LA County Department of Public Health will be maintained at all times.
- Only paper towels will be used to dry hands. When spent the paper towels will be placed in the trash receptacle completely.
- During skills practice/training, alternative methods to physical distancing as required by the LA County Department of Public Health such as face coverings or filtering face pieces (FFP) as described in Appendix 3 of the COVID-19 Return to Campus Plan (May 2020), Physical Distancing Options, may be used.
- Students will be required to bring their own water bottles.
- Refilling of personal bottles on campus will not be permitted.
- Breaks will be scheduled by the instructor and coordinated with other groups to minimize overlapping times.
- Students will be limited to one person at a time in restrooms.
- Students will be instructed to maintain physical distancing required by the LA County Department of Public Health at all times.
- All lecture type activities will be conducted remotely. This does not apply to any program with hands-on demonstrations.
- When close contact is required, nitrile gloves, face mask, and a face covering will be required.