Satisfactory Academic Progress
Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements
Students receiving financial aid must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress while working towards their educational goal. To ensure a student is making Satisfactory Academic Progress, the U.S. Department of Education requires that students adhere to the following academic standards:
- Pace of Progress
Students MUST complete at least 67% of all units attempted. Pace of Progress includes all evaluated transfer coursework attempted. Any courses enrolled in AFTER the drop deadline are considered an attempt, regardless of the grade received. Example: A student who enrolled in and attempted 30 total units, must have completed at least 20 of those units to meet the minimum Pace of Progress of 67%.
Students MUST maintain a 2.0 cumulative GPA, including all evaluated transfer coursework. Financial aid does not recognize Academic Renewal or course repeats for GPA forgiveness.
- Maximum Time Frame (Timely Manner)
Students MUST complete their educational goal within 150% of the published program
length (measured in total units attempted), including all evaluated transfer coursework. Example: An AA or AS degree requires 60 units to complete; therefore, the Maximum
Time Frame of a 60 unit program is 90 units attempted (i.e. 60 unit program, 150%
= 90 units attempted).
Any transcripts submitted for prior coursework credit must be received and evaluated before your financial aid eligibilty can be determined. Transcript evaluation requests can be made in the Admissions & Records Office at College of the Canyons.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Status
Students can view their current academic progress for financial aid on the My Canyons student portal. Just login, click on the "My Financial Aid" tile, and then select "Financial Aid Status" from the menu. There, click on "Financial Aid" from the drop down menu and select "Satisfactory Academic Progress".
- Good - Meeting the Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards. Great Job! Keep up the good work!
- Denied -Disqualification occurs when a student fails to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, resulting in a loss of financial aid eligibility*.
*Financial aid denial status will NOT affect the California College Promise Grant
(Fee Waiver), unless a student fails to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
and/or fails to complete more than 50 percent of coursework for two consecutive semesters.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal
Students who are denied financial aid, may be eligible to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal to be considered for reinstatement.
In order to submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal a student must:
- Have a current completed FAFSA or Dream Act Application on file at College of the Canyons;
- Be registered for class(es) at College of the Canyons;
- Have reviewed the Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements listed above;
- Meet with the Financial Aid Counselor after submitting the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal form below.
Students submitting an appeal for Pace of Progress and/or GPA must include the following:
- A detailed personal statement explaining the extenuating circumstances that prevented the student from completing courses AND what has changed to allow the student to be successful. Examples of potential extenuating circumstances include: severe illness or injury to the student; documented new medical conditions; the death of an immediate family member; military service obligations; or loss of fixed and adequate housing.
- Documentation to support the extenuating circumstances described in the student’s personal statement.
- Current or former foster youth receiving CHAFEE are NOT REQUIRED to submit supporting documentation.
Appeals for Satisfactory Academic Progress must be submitted by the LAST DAY OF THE TERM to qualify for a reinstatement for that term. Appeals received AFTER the last day of the term are eligible for reinstatement for future terms only.
STEP 1: Click here to submit the Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form
STEP 2: Contact the Financial Aid Office at (661) 362-3215 to schedule an appointment with the Financial Aid Counselor to review your appeal.
College of the Canyons’ Financial Aid Office will use regulatory guidelines set by
the Department of Education to review Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
to determine a student’s eligibility. The decision made by the Financial Aid Office
will be final and there will be no further appeals.
Satisfactory Academic Progress Probation
Students with an approved appeal will be placed on Financial Aid Probation, and will be required to complete all courses listed on the Student Education Plan with a grade of 'C' or better. Grades of F, FW, W, EW or I will not be considered complete. A “D” grade will not be considered complete for a course that requires a “C” or better to advance to the next level or transfer. Student’s who fail to meet the terms of Probation will be disqualified from financial aid.