Coronavirus Update for Students
March 12, 2020
College of the Canyons is continuing to monitor developments in the coronavirus situation, and we are writing to provide you with a status update on where things stand at COC.
- At this time, we are not aware of any confirmed coronavirus cases at the college or in the wider Santa Clarita Valley.
- Given current public health guidelines, and out of an abundance of caution, Instruction/Academic Affairs is converting as many face-to-face classes to a remote learning environment (e.g. online, Zoom, etc.) as soon as possible. Classes will continue in this format until further notice. Doing so will promote social distancing as recommended by public health officials, and help protect the health of students, faculty, and staff at the college.
- The College will close all Student Services offices and cancel all courses on March 18 and 19, 2020 to allow for training of our staff and faculty to ensure we continue to offer quality instruction to our students.
- Classes on Monday and Tuesday (March 16 and March 17) that are not online, or transitioning to online, are currently scheduled to meet at their regular times.
- Please stay in contact with your instructor for information regarding your course.
You can use the student section of the Online Education website (www.canyons.edu/onlinestudent) to find instructions on using a variety of tools that you might be asked to use when your classes move to remote instruction.
If you wish to receive in-person assistance, you can attend open labs that will be scheduled throughout the week. Details will be posted in the student section of the Online Education website (www.canyons.edu/onlinestudent).
The Library and The Learning Center (TLC) will remain open to support students and faculty. Also, the TLC has significantly expanded online tutoring. However, the number of students permitted in testing rooms will be limited to promote social distancing.
We recognize that moving quickly to a remote format is a challenging and disruptive process. Our hope is that the activities that are being planned in the upcoming week will provide the necessary support for you and will help to significantly minimize disruption.
We thank you all in advance for your patience, compassion, flexibility and resilience as we find ourselves in an unprecedented event for our college and our community. We appreciate the care and understanding our community has shown to the faculty and staff, and we want to thank you for continuing your education with College of the Canyons.
– College of the Canyons Public Information Office
Distributed March 12, 2020