Canvas Teaching Tools
Access Canvas at coc.instructure.com
- Log into Canvas with your CanyonsID
- Username: staff\lastname_first initial (e.g. staff\doe_j)
- Password: <this is the same as your email password>
- For assistance logging into Canvas, please visit CanyonsID Login for Staff
Need Canvas Support?
The Online Education team is here to support you. Please contact us if you have any questions about teaching with Canvas. We are available to assist you by phone, email, and over Zoom.
24-Hour Canvas Support
Canvas Faculty Support is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week via phone (833) 286-2864 and Online chat. You may also find Canvas guides for College of the Canyons faculty to be helpful. Visit Canvas Incident Reports to learn if there were any outages that may have affected your students.
Q. Are all College of the Canyons sections created as courses in Canvas?
A. Canvas shells are automatically created for all College of the Canyons course sections, and are available to instructors who are are Canvas Certified.
To become Canvas Certified, you'll need to complete a short, self-paced (and Flex-credit-eligible) online course, which will orient you to Canvas, and show you where to find, and how to use the tools and resources to build accessible course content, communicate with students, provide feedback on assessments, and create and grade assignments. See "Want to Teach Online?" for more information.
Q. Can I combine multiple sections into one Canvas shell?
A. Yes. If you would like to have multiple sections listed in a single Canvas course, please email the COC Canvas Administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include the course name, section number, start date, and any extra course set-up instructions.
- Please visit FERPA Compliance and Student Interaction for information about considerations and settings when merging sections.
Q. What should I do if a course I am teaching is not on my Canvas Dashboard?
A. If you are Canvas Certified and do not see the course that you are scheduled to teach in Canvas:
- First, check if your course is listed under "All Courses" in Canvas. See How do I view all my Canvas courses as an instructor?
- Please send an email to Chad Estrella, the COC Canvas Administrator: email@example.com.
- Please include your course name, section number and start date, along with any additional set-up requests (example, multiple sections in one course).
Q. Are the students in my class able to view my course material?
A. Canvas course shells will not be visible to students until the Instructor publishes the course. See How do I publish a course for more information.
Q. Does College of the Canyons offer Canvas course templates?
A. Yes! Make your course design easier with College of the Canyons' Online and Face-to-Face Course Templates. These course templates include a variety of ready-to-use course components for you to choose from, including an orientation module, example home pages and content module, and several powerful supplemental resources—all of which leverage effective pedagogy and accessibility principles.
Q. What are the steps to get my courses ready every semester?
A. This New Semester Checklist offers helpful tips and reminders to review at the start & end of each semester. We recommend making your own copy that you can modify to meet the needs of your courses and discipline.
New to Canvas or need a refresher? See the below essential Canvas Guides:
Canvas Guides, Release Notes, and Incident Reports
- Explore Canvas guides for College of the Canyons faculty.
- Visit Canvas Incident Reports to learn if there were any outages that may have affected your students.
- Visit Canvas Release Notes to see the latest Canvas updates and features.
- Visit the California Canvas Community to share ideas on how to use Canvas and support students statewide.
Are there other resources or information that should be included on this page? Have a question that's not answered here? Please let us know! Contact the Online Education team.
Go back to Faculty Support Home